What happens when the main carer is ill............?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Jennifer.

Dhiren can`t use an ATM, he goes to the counter with his Debit card to make a withdrawal.

I have spoken to the bank manager, and she knows the situation. We are lucky to live in such a small seaside town and the bank, the railway, the post office, the newsagent and the pharmacy all know about Dhiren.

If Dhiren takes out more than is considered normal, and we have agreed a sum, the bank will contact me. Only because it is a joint account.

I am going to change that. It`s on my `to do` list. First, I have to get the POA sorted out.

Love xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Helen and Hazel.

I would only consider a Holistsic Centre if I felt confident it would help and had a reccommendation.

I have had osteopathy for my back, in the past, but unfortunately, couldn`t trust it enough to relax, so it wasn`t effective.

Also, if it`s a hormone problem, that may require different treatment.

Will just have to play the waiting game, like I am playing for Dhiren, who has now been out 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Must be a big pudding.

Whiskas

Oct 17, 2006
Corby
Grannie G said:
I`m no more deserving than any other of the thousands of carers in the world, some of whom don`t have anything comparable to the support that is TP.

Aren't we lucky to have TP,something good out of something bad thank goodness!!
Glad you have arranged carers assessment hope you don't have to wait too long.
Shame you didn't get any pudding though!!
Cathyxx

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Hope they come along soon (will they be able to interview you alone?)

I remember when I told my brother, if Social Services phone, get as much help as they are prepared to offer, I was only out a few hours and when I got back he said "Social Services phoned, but I've cancelled them, we don't want social workers coming round, do we?" ...

I've got a freezer shelf full of Wiltshire Farm puds, useful for "emergencies".

Lila

Grannie G said:
When we got home, I phoned SS and asked for a Carers Assessment. I can`t believe I`ve finally done it. The person I spoke to was so easy to talk to and so understanding, I realize I shouldn`t have left it so long.

Now I have to wait for someone to contact me to arrange how the assessment will be conducted.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Lila13 said:
I've got a freezer shelf full of Wiltshire Farm puds, useful for "emergencies".
Lila

Thank you Lila, a virtual pudding, no weight gain, brilliant. You should patent that idea.

Love xx

Last edited:

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Well we are always making virtual cups of tea or coffee for each other. Which sort of pud would you like?

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
I'll make you a nice trifle tomorrow if you like. I've got a good one I make with blueberries which are supposed to be very good for you.

Perhaps we sould have a thread on Tea Room with favourite recipes??

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Thank you Bruce. I think it would work quite well. I make all sorts of trifles with different fruits in them and have great fun with my Mum (her vocabulary is deteriorating of course) trying to identify the different ingredients. Also as I have to cope with her and my father's very poor appetite and digestion (he has cancer), we may find we can exchange some quite useful recipes for our "charges".

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Update

Had a phone call from the GP this morning. Blood test showed even lower thyroid function, so prescription awaiting collection for increased Thyroxin.

I have just had a phone call from SS, re my phone call on 18th. Rapid response! The caller asked what precisiely is the problem. I asked what he knew. He said he knew what I had told the officer I spoke to on Monday. I said mobility is my current problem, and my husband packing to go home is my continuing problem.

He said he felt I need a full assessment rather than a carers assessment. I went over once again my husband`s attitude to personal questions and invasion of his space, and was asked if I`d agree to a full assessment for myself, and of course I agreed.

As Dhiren was particularly prickly when he phoned, I didn`t have the opportunity to ask the difference. Does anyone know?

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sylvia, as I understand it, a full assessment for you is an assessment of your needs, withot taking into account Dhiren's problems. I really don't see how they can do this. I don't think your hip pain and thyroid problem taken in isolation would qualify you for much in the way of help. Possibly home help and gardening, but these are means tested I believe, and in any are are not going to solve your immediate problems.

A carer's assessment is an assessment of your needs in relation to the support you have to give Dhiren, so they would have to see him to verify what help he needs. This is the one you need to get Crossroads, daycare, respite, etc.

I know how difficult this is going to be for you, and I could be entirely wrong, different authorities operate differently.

I would go ahead with what they offer for the time being, and see what they suggest for the future. Make sure you decide in advance what exactly you want from them -- and what you don't want.

Well done for getting it organised, and good luck

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Hazel.

How did I know you`d be the one to come up with something.

When I spoke to the SW, I asked him if in doing a full assessment for me, he would take Dhiren`s condition into account and he said he would. I also asked if he appreciated that if he involved Dhiren in any of the questions, he would likely walk out, and he said he did.

So I am hoping the assessment is officially for me, but with Dhiren in mind. Is that naive?

So can you tell me the difference between a carers assessment and a full assessment .

******************************************************************************************
Thanks Margarita.

The link was very useful. I`ve bookmarked it.

Love xx

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Grannie G said:
So I am hoping the assessment is officially for me, but with Dhiren in mind. Is that naive?

So can you tell me the difference between a carers assessment and a full assessment .

Not naive. It sounds as if the SW understands the situation, and is prepared to fudge the assessment. That would be the ideal solution.

Fingers crossed!:)

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Hope it works! Too much seems to depend on the individual social worker.

Lila

Grannie G said:
So I am hoping the assessment is officially for me, but with Dhiren in mind.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sylvia

Me again!:eek:

I've just been following a very interesting link which Jennifer has posted on another thread:

http://www.carersuk.org/Policyandpr...andtheirRightsLukeClementsJune2006webonly.pdf

It's about carers' rights, long document, but pages 9 - 55 are all about carers' rights and SS assessments. Page 52 gives an example of an assessment. You might find it helpful to read it before you have yours.

Thanks, Jennifer.:)

Love,

Last edited: