What happens when the main carer is ill............?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks folks. However much you think you may need me, I need you more, every one of you.

Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
That song come to my mind

People who need people
Are the luckiest people in the world

So we are the luckiest bunch of people in the world, that all need people and we all found each other on TP :)

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Sylvia,
Dhiren needs you . . . . and therefore anything you do for yourself, you do for Dhiren. If you are tempted to "keep on keeping on" without help, remind yourself that you are doing this as much for his sake as your's. Exhaustion and pain are bound to lead to something worse eventually. :( (Sorry to be such a misery!!)

Even if it goes against the grain (and I know from your posts that it does) you must, must, must take care of yourself, dear lady.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Nell,

I know you are right, it`s just how to go about it without causing any more distress.

He has isolated himself from me this evening, wrapped in his own sad and frightened world, and feeling somehow I`m the cause, or I`m living a happy carefree life.

I will definitely have to see what help I can get on Monday, because I know things are coming to a head.

Everyone is so kind.

Tina

May 19, 2006
You've had a really difficult time in the last few days, Sylvia (sorry, I know it's never very easy, but things seem to be coming to a head a bit now), hope things will be looking up, you'll be rid of your hip pain soon and will be able to get some good ideas and help on Monday.
All good wishes,
Tina

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Folks.

I suggested to Dhiren that I need to get someone in to help me, and told him I can get help from the SS, if I need it. He thought it was a really good idea. :D

What a milestone.

Tomorrow`s the day, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Love xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Fantastic! Well done Sylvia. We'll all be thinking of you and keeping everything possible crossed. Much love, Deborah x

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Sylvia,

Thinking of you today (Monday) and hoping you get some genuine help. So glad Dhiren thought it was a good idea!! In the meantime,
{{{HUGS}}}

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Cathy.

I`m no more deserving than any other of the thousands of carers in the world, some of whom don`t have anything comparable to the support that is TP.

Love xx

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Hope you get the help you need, and hope D accepts it is for you.

Lila

Grannie G said:
Hi Folks.

I suggested to Dhiren that I need to get someone in to help me, and told him I can get help from the SS, if I need it. He thought it was a really good idea.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Update

Nothing showed on the Xray, which was a relief, but doesn`t do anything for the pain.

The GP was a bit put out that I hadn`t had a blood test, and did it himself. He wants to eliminate any possibility of a recurrence of the parathyroid problems I had a couple of years ago, when I had a parathyroid gland removed. Too much hormone can cause bone pain.

If the blood test`s OK, I will be referred for physio therapy for a trapped nerve.

So for now, I must `keep taking the tablets.`

When we got home, I phoned SS and asked for a Carers Assessment. I can`t believe I`ve finally done it. The person I spoke to was so easy to talk to and so understanding, I realize I shouldn`t have left it so long.

Now I have to wait for someone to contact me to arrange how the assessment will be conducted.

I will never be able to thank you all enough, for being so supportive.

Will keep you posted.

Dhiren has gone out, supposedly to buy some `pudding` for tonight, regardless of the fact I`m trying to lose weight.

I think he`s gone to the bank.............

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Way to go Sylvia, although I'm sorry you've not got any resolution for your pain.

Sylvia, not intending to be nosy (well probably AM) but does the bank recognise Dhiren's problem? What I'm asking, I suppose, is would they call you if he tried to withdraw a large sum of money, or are we talking about an ATM (or whatever they're called in the UK)? Don't feel you have to answer if this is intrusive.

Love

Jennifer

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Pudding!! Just reminded me I bought a cherry pie for tea yesterday and forgot about it!!! Cherry pie and squibby cream tonight - blow the diet!!

Well done with social services Sylvia - now just accept all the help that you can get. Always said to dad, accept anything available - at least it was someone coming into the house for him to talk to.

Love Helen

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sylvia

Well done for taking the plunge! Let's hope the assessment goes through quickly and you get some help.

It's also good news that you're not going to need an operation on your hip, but as you say, it does leave you with the pain.

Would you consider going to a holistic centre? They would be able to tell you which therapist would be best for you. I had physio for my neck, and it made matters worse. When I went to the holistic centre they referred me to an osteopath/chiropractor who sorted me out in two treatments. She explained that physiotherapists stretch the affected part, but if the bones are out of alignment this is just making the problem worse.

Just a suggestion, I know physio works for some people.

Enjoy your pudding, the gooier the better! You deserve it!

Love,