What happens when soemone can't be at home but, refuses to go into a place of care??

humdrummer

Feb 4, 2013
Hello.
My mum is currently in hospital after breaking her hip. This is her second admission this year and in total I think she has only been at home for about 5 weeks since the year began.

She has past history of mental health problems, two to three years ago she was diagnosed with mixed Alzheimer's/Vascular Dementia (they also suspected Lewy Body dementia but, she refused to be scanned for it). Her mobility is shocking as she has zero cartilage in her knees, which is probably how she fell and broke her hip. She has depression and her mood is very unstable. While waiting for the hip op she was seen by a cardiologist who diagnosed a historical silent MI (heart attack), her blood pressure, despite meds, is unstable.
On the ward she has fallen and suffered from dehydration.

She is going home this week. We are reinstating her carers (*4/day), district nurse etc. We have moved the bed downstairs and basically rearranged the house to accommodate her walking frame and other equipment. However, this isn't going to work. She's already fallen on the ward because she's forgotten she has broken her hip and forgets to use the frame. It's not a case of 'if' this doesn't work it's a case of 'when' this doesn't work. She is adamant about going home, she hates the idea of a frame, toilet chair, bed down stairs (we've done it anyway) - before admission she had been found by one of the carers beating up the bath chair we had put in! She is anti anything that is only used by 'old' people. She refuses to leave the house now anyway as she doesn't want anyone seeing her in a wheel chair.

She also self neglects when at home, between admissions she lost one stone in four weeks despite the carers best intentions - she won't wash, change clothes, eat etc.

Anyway, 'when' this all goes pear shaped she will have to go to residential - my question is - How does that work when it's against someones will?? Which it will be.

Who can we turn to? Who does it? Is it a section under the mental health act? Or is it just 'in her best interest'. She was assessed last week for capacity and it was negative. The ward then said it was up to us (her family) to decide where she goes as we could go against her will and put her in residential from the ward. Instead we've decided to give her one last ditch attempt at being at home, it is where she wants to be, even though it's a huge risk!

I'm just scared now because, when it goes wrong who do we turn to? How do we get her in to a place of safety? She has already been on the mental health ward twice in the last couple of years - they won't admit her again, they just recommend residential but, what do we do when she refuses? Does anybody else have experience of this?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post :)

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I'm just scared now because, when it goes wrong who do we turn to? How do we get her in to a place of safety? She has already been on the mental health ward twice in the last couple of years - they won't admit her again, they just recommend residential but, what do we do when she refuses? Does anybody else have experience of this?

Hello humdrummer,

Some of us, including me, have been through this. There was a thread on a similar theme recently:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...y-mother-BUT-how-do-we-actually-make-the-move

You might find this helpful. As you will see, some of us have needed to employ fibs/deception. Sometimes it's just not possible to discuss this sort of decision with a dementia sufferer, because they just dig their heels in or get angry, simply can't see the necessity (often literally can't rather than won't) and can't be reasoned with, so will never agree to go voluntarily.

All the best and do keep posting - whatever you're going through someone here will have got the T shirt.

PS: just to add, if you think a care home is definitely going to be necessary soon, then do start looking asap. All too often people wait until it's seriously urgent and then it's often a case of having to accept what's available - the one you like best may not have a vacancy.

Last edited:

bad daughter

Jan 26, 2013
Hi there. Our Mum went from hospital to CH and despite the fact that we've agonized since about whether we should give her a chance back in her own home, like you we know in our hearts that it was always a "when" not an "if" it goes wrong.

From what you say it sounds likely she'll be back in hospital fairly soon. From that point be clear that the next move is into a CH and I'd advise you to start doing your research now. Once you have a CH in mind - get their help and advice about how to get your Mum in. Unfortunately it's going to be a lot of little white lies about "convalescing" or "having a holiday" because telling it straight won't help.

The staff will have a great deal of experience in dealing with this and are there to help you.

And lots of others here will be able to give good advice as well

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
I lied said you are going home just not yet, mum has a brother in Germany and its normal there to go to a take the waters before going home so she accepted that. Once their she forgot about going home as she enjoyed the company.
Now 6 months later she looks younger has friends watches the tv and looks like she did years ago. Hair done, nails painted and spoilt rotten. Good and fresh food I think makes a difference to general health and company keeps communication skills going.
Leaving someone in their own home is not always a good thing so do what you think is right and a little deception might not be a bad idea.

I know some will gasp and say lieing is wrong, but I know someone who inflicts a great deal of pain by telling their mum that the son is dead when she has no memory and it takes the staff 40 mins at least to calm down a distressed elderly lady.If a bit of evasive and constructive manoeuvring can't do the trick then it may be you'll need legal advice and a place of safety order from the SS but that is best avoided.

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello, I am sorry you having such a worrying time.

This is a Factsheet explaining the process that should take place when someone is discharged from a hospital.

Hospital Discharge.

Does your Mum have any contact with a Social Worker or the Mental Health Team? I would contact them and explain that your Mum is being sent home and make your concerns very clear.

My very best wishes to you all.

El Tigre

Jan 15, 2013
Dorset
almost looking in the mirror

Hello.
My mum is currently in hospital after breaking her hip. This is her second admission this year and in total I think she has only been at home for about 5 weeks since the year began.

She has past history of mental health problems, two to three years ago she was diagnosed with mixed Alzheimer's/Vascular Dementia (they also suspected Lewy Body dementia but, she refused to be scanned for it). Her mobility is shocking as she has zero cartilage in her knees, which is probably how she fell and broke her hip. She has depression and her mood is very unstable. While waiting for the hip op she was seen by a cardiologist who diagnosed a historical silent MI (heart attack), her blood pressure, despite meds, is unstable.
On the ward she has fallen and suffered from dehydration.

She is going home this week. We are reinstating her carers (*4/day), district nurse etc. We have moved the bed downstairs and basically rearranged the house to accommodate her walking frame and other equipment. However, this isn't going to work. She's already fallen on the ward because she's forgotten she has broken her hip and forgets to use the frame. It's not a case of 'if' this doesn't work it's a case of 'when' this doesn't work. She is adamant about going home, she hates the idea of a frame, toilet chair, bed down stairs (we've done it anyway) - before admission she had been found by one of the carers beating up the bath chair we had put in! She is anti anything that is only used by 'old' people. She refuses to leave the house now anyway as she doesn't want anyone seeing her in a wheel chair.

She also self neglects when at home, between admissions she lost one stone in four weeks despite the carers best intentions - she won't wash, change clothes, eat etc.

Anyway, 'when' this all goes pear shaped she will have to go to residential - my question is - How does that work when it's against someones will?? Which it will be.

Who can we turn to? Who does it? Is it a section under the mental health act? Or is it just 'in her best interest'. She was assessed last week for capacity and it was negative. The ward then said it was up to us (her family) to decide where she goes as we could go against her will and put her in residential from the ward. Instead we've decided to give her one last ditch attempt at being at home, it is where she wants to be, even though it's a huge risk!

I have a situation similar to your but so far (touch wood) no hospital admissions. My mother has vascular dementia and currently lives at home with my father & carer support (twice a day). The strain is showing on my father but Mum refuses to even consider even going into a home for respite care, Our local social services are of no use whatsoever & I have no other source of help available to me ( when I say help I mean practical help not "advice" & leaflets) .
The carers that look after my mother are on £7 per hour but I am paying £16.50 per hour I cant see how care providers justify their exorbitant fees.
I have looked at several homes local to me and so far NONE gave me any confidence that (as if & when we can get Mum to agree) any would be right for her.
The stress this is causing has a knock on effect on my own family and I dont know how long this can go on for.
Any practical advice appreciated