What happens now?!

Emsy

Feb 3, 2013
Hi all,

I could really do with some help putting together a 'to do' list!
After yet another crisis my parents went into respite care a fortnight ago and are going to stay permanently.
This means I now have to start registering the LPA's with various people/organisations, start clearing their house ready to sell, get the post redirected etc etc.
I'm an organised sort of person but doing this alone while dealing with the emotion of it all feels totally overwhelming & I'm not sure where to start!

Thanks all

Em

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Just a quick thing, do the LPA NOW! Make it the first thing, it took 4 months for mine to come through. X

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Start with paperwork. Power of Attorney, cancel all unnecessary direct debits, let bank know you will be involved in looking after their affairs. Collect every bit of paper work in the house of course and expect to find things in strange places unless they were very organised. Separate out essential items to keep like family photos or documents.

Material things like clothes, furniture and the house itself can wait till you get all the other stuff sorted.

Emsy

Feb 3, 2013
Luckily I already POA sorted as did over a year ago.
I just haven't 'logged' it with anyone yet - banks etc - as wanted to wait until it got to the point where it was absolutely necessary, which it now is.
You're right though - the clothes/furniture etc can wait & thankfully the house is empty during the warm months so need to worry bout heating/damp etc

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Well done, you were organised! so then, registering with banks first and then you can cancel/ set up whatever direct debits you need to run their affairs. Think carefully before you go into selling their house, there is also the LA option of deferred payment, if there might be any reason why you want to hang on to it, such as to rent it out or live in it.
Contact council tax people, they don't need to pay this now they are in care.

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
If there is any valuble jewellery, then that is worth putting somewhere safe. Also you need to know where their wills are.
May be worth while telling council, utilities etc that the house is empty, in case they will reduce the bills.

Emsy

Feb 3, 2013
This all great stuff folks & helping me focus my mind!
Thanks for the taking the time to respond.
x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Sorry you are having to go through this.

Check everything before you throw it out , take to charity shops etc.
important, valuable things can be wrapped in a crumpled paper or down the sides of chairs.

Forgetmenot%

Jun 9, 2014
Mytchett, CAMBERLEY, Surrey
additions for your checklist

Once you have the LPA

-notify all the utilities they have such as gas, water, electric, phone, council tax, Sky or other media providers along with Mobile Phone companies
- find their wills (if they have them)
- find the property deeds (if they have them)
- find out any logins / passwords for any websites or on line companies they use
- Notify Government bodies - Tax and National Insurance / DVLA, Passport office
- Insurance companies - car, house, holiday etc
- pension companies for pensions in payment including State Pensions
- Life companies or Product Providers where they have savings / investments
- any hire purchase or loan companies
-credit cards and store cards providers
- Royal Mail (to re-direct)
- Church, dentist, doctor, opticians
- neighbours & friends

As well as picking up every bit of paper in the house look for diaries, address books and their mobile phone contact / history

It will take time but keep going - big hug to you and the family

pippop1

Apr 8, 2013
Re insurance - an empty house is a different insurance risk to an occupied one. Let the insurance company know. MIL's company (ironically she'd worked for them and had a pension) refused to insure once they knew it was empty but recommended another company that did insure empty properties. Shop around.

Emsy

Feb 3, 2013
Once you have the LPA

-notify all the utilities they have such as gas, water, electric, phone, council tax, Sky or other media providers along with Mobile Phone companies
- find their wills (if they have them)
- find the property deeds (if they have them)
- find out any logins / passwords for any websites or on line companies they use
- Notify Government bodies - Tax and National Insurance / DVLA, Passport office
- Insurance companies - car, house, holiday etc
- pension companies for pensions in payment including State Pensions
- Life companies or Product Providers where they have savings / investments
- any hire purchase or loan companies
-credit cards and store cards providers
- Royal Mail (to re-direct)
- Church, dentist, doctor, opticians
- neighbours & friends

As well as picking up every bit of paper in the house look for diaries, address books and their mobile phone contact / history

It will take time but keep going - big hug to you and the family

That's a really comprehensive list & really useful! Thanks Forgetmenot ;0)

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
When you go to the bank to register the LPA, take some photo ID for yourself or you may not get 'accepted'. They should photocopy the LPA while you are there, and a couple of weeks later you should get a letter confirming that you are now in charge of their affairs.

Also, never ever send away the original of the LPA, only one of the copies that you hopefully requested at the time. If you have no copies, then you may need to take your original into a local solicitors and ask them to make some certified copies for you to send away to organisations.

If there are many organisations that need contacting, then it may take a while as you will have to wait for the LPA copies to be sent back by each company at a time. So prioritise carefully which one(s) to do first.