What exactly does a Speciality Doctor in Old Age do

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I know this must have been answered before but what exactly does a Speciality Doctor in Old Age do and how can they help, what information will they be looking for?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Jeany - I think its a cross between what used to be called a Geriatrician and a Psychiatrist who deals primarily with older people.

Hope this link is helpful - the title is slightly different as they say old age psychiatrist but a quick look online and it seems the titles are somewhat fluid.

http://www.medicalcareers.nhs.uk/specialty_pages/psychiatry/old_age_psychiatry/working_life.aspx

I saw that thank you, I have tried to read up on it but it doesn't really tell me what they can do for us, do they give medication, do they arrange help, do they tell us how to manage things better, do they put us in touch with other people who can help, this is what I mean when I say what do they do, I wondered how they can benefit us,

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
It does seem they work with other teams going by the article so I took that to imply they did referrals. Maybe you could ring the Doc's secretary to ask? If you say you want to make sure you have the right / relevant info and questions then I am sure they won't mind.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
It does seem they work with other teams going by the article so I took that to imply they did referrals. Maybe you could ring the Doc's secretary to ask? If you say you want to make sure you have the right / relevant info and questions then I am sure they won't mind.

Thank you Celia good idea, I will do that in the morning xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren`s doctor was a psychiatric geriatrician. He was unable to work miracles but he understood what was going on with Dhiren and how it affected me.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Dhiren`s doctor was a psychiatric geriatrician. He was unable to work miracles but he understood what was going on with Dhiren and how it affected me.

Thank you Sylvia that was what I was looking for, some personal experience, I knew what they were supposed to do but wanted to know if it could be a benefit to us,

I just know that Allen will be having a good day and be on his best behaviour, I hope that they won't take him at face value,

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
As part of her Memory clinics, Mum used to see a Psychiatrist of Old Age. Whenever we went for her check up, I was afford an opportunity to talk with the Consultant alone while Mum was being weighed, ECG done etc. She would ask me for an update.....usually I'd submitted a written letter at booking in and she would have read it before we were called in. She used to say that Mum had obviously been a highly intelligent woman as she could " turn on the public face" during her interviews but she never took Mum at face value.
Basically I got the chance to put a clear view of the day to day picture into Mum's files. It was she ( the Consultant) who diagnosed the versions of dementia that Mum was suffering.
I wonder if Allen's symptoms are causing his doctors to look at his diagnosis again?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I just know that Allen will be having a good day and be on his best behaviour, I hope that they won't take him at face value,

Dhiren was always on his best behaviour and managed to pull out all the stops.

I used to write to the doctor before the appointment telling it like it was. By doing this I didn`t have to discuss in front of Dhiren , nor did I tense up when he showed himself to be perfectly rational.