What else can memory problems mean?

nikkigill50

Mar 31, 2008
Canada
Since my Dad died in 2005, my Mom has a terrible memory, she has just turned 67. We never noticed a problem before this. She is on the antidepressant Citalopram, but the Doctors don't think it has anything to do with this. I live in Canada, she lives in England, so I don't get to see her very often but call a couple of times a week, she generally tells me the same thing every 5 minutes as she doesn't remember that she already told me and if I mail her something I never get to find out if it arrived or not as she doesn't remember see it. My brother who lives closer finally got her to see a doctor at the hospital and have some membory test and they have agreed that her memory is very bad for her age, but Mom says she doesn't want to investigate it any further. I am just wondering if there could be some other explanation than dementia. I am visiting her for 2 weeks in May, I think I should try to persuade her to get a Power of Attorney made up but not sure who to convince her.
Thanks for any thoughts.

Nikki

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
What else can memory problems mean

I don't know I would of thought a dementia of some sort , does your mother have heart problem or diabetics ?

Welcome to TP , sorry if that of no help

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Nikki, :)

All I can suggest is you visit your own doctor and ask what other possibilities there may be for your mother`s memory loss.

It might be fear that stops her from wanting to investigate further, or it might be knowledge. But before you come over, I would find out as much as I can, so you and your brother may be able to persuade her to seek medical attention.

Please keep posting. Someone may have more ideas.

Take care, it must be so worrying for you, especially being so far away.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Nikki

I'm wondering what the consultant at the hospital said to your mum? If she scored badly on the memory test (presumably mmse), he must have given some indication of a possible diagnosis, even without a scan.

Did someone go with your mum? Perhaps you brother has more information. If not, I'd be inclined to write to the consultant and ask him what he thinks. It may be that your mum qualifies for medication, if it proves to be dementia.

As for the POA, I think you should get it done as soon as possible.

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Nikki

Having a Lasting Power of Attorney makes life very much easier. In fact it is really essential.

Some people find it is helpful to go as a family and have a Power of Attorney set up for each member. Your mum and brother could be your Attorneys and you and your brother could be your mum’s Attorneys. Then everyone signs at the same time so mum does not feel threatened. (When we did ours, many years ago, my sister signed it later as she could not be present, so presumable you could also have extra Attorneys for yourself that are not present at the solicitors. Not sure how the new rules work now that it is called a Lasting Power of Attorney).

(If you do not require a LPA in Canada then just do one for your mum and brother).

You could tell mum that you are having a Power of Attorney drawn up and the Solicitor is doing two for the price of one if that sort of thing appeals to your mum.

Another possibility is to show mum the Gas Bill and point out that too much money is being paid. You then say that you will sort it out for her but the Gas Board have to see a document from a solicitor before they will talk to you… due to the Data Protection Act. Everyone likes to get money back from the Gas Board.

As you will not have a lot of time in May your brother needs to find a solicitor who will do the Power of Attorney for mum. (I am assuming you are not going the DIY route and downloading the form off the internet which some people do).

Remember that solicitors are allowed to charge what they like, so ringing round could find you a bargain...or stop you being ripped off. You need to know how long it will take to be ready for signing, how much it will cost, and does the charge include registration and a few Certified Copies to take away with you. (you must never post the original !!)

Best Wishes

Clive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana8455