What does the person with dementia feel.

Discussion in 'Recently diagnosed and early stages of dementia' started by deannabyrne, Jan 11, 2016.

1. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    Thanks Lyn.

2. Gwyneth

Gwyneth Registered User

Nov 25, 2015
    Don't we all. So tragic to watch. Feel for you and know what it is like. Gwyneth

3. john51

john51 Registered User

Apr 26, 2014
    Male
    Dunstable, Bedfordshire
    For me there are good days and bad days. The most difficult thing for those around me is that at the time I don't know I'm having a bad spell; then the fog in my mind clears and it all becomes so clear to me.
    John

4. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    That's the same with my John , thank you for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

5. deannabyrne

deannabyrne Registered User

Jan 11, 2016
    Thanks all

A follow up question.
    I have heard my dad say he has the word in his mind but cannot say the word.
    If others on this thread have the same issue can he write it down on paper versus saying the word?

6. john51

john51 Registered User

Apr 26, 2014
    Male
    Dunstable, Bedfordshire
    This is a wonderful idea. I'm sure it will work for some. Unfortunately for me when a word has gone it's gone. At least for that conversation

7. dawning

dawning Registered User

Jan 15, 2016
    It makes me cry to read and imagine how people with dementia or their carers feel everyday. I remember days when my father was still here. Sometimes I can be angry, but sometimes I just can cry remembering days when he was very active and creative, before this disease comes to him. It's so sad, lads. :(

8. aprilbday

aprilbday Registered User

Jan 27, 2016
    Washington, DC USA
    For me, I feel shattered. At first when I could not remember my address, I was scared. Then, when I would say "good morning" to the same people (they get annoyed and tell me I've already said 'good morning), I would feel ashamed.
    When I wear my clothes the wrong way, I fill humiliated. When I can't connect "if and then logic" scenarios I feel alarmed. When I look at my students faces and can not remember their names, I feel inept. When I am home alone in my bed, I feel at peace and safe but worry about next year and the next year and how long I can work and live in my apartment. When I am at the store I feel like it's too big and I am too small (and there is nothing small about me).
    When I try to watch tv or movies, I lose track and interest. When I cook, I have to sit because it takes too long now.
    I feel happy when I get responses on TP.

9. creativesarah

creativesarah Registered User

Thanks for sharing with us.
    Today I got very confused but people don't always understand
    I got stressed and took ages doing a simple thing that someone else could probably have done in minutes
    Later on I couldnt work out how to put my thermal leggings and on my walk I got confused
    I enjoyed my walk thjough and took some nice sunset photos
    I seemed to struggle to understand what people were saying to me
    and now I am eating some chocolate raisins which isnt good for my diet

Thankfully tomorrow is another day

10. The Chewtor

The Chewtor Registered User

Feb 6, 2016
    Gillingham, Kent
    just like John for me once a word is gone it stays gone probably for the rest of that day. like April TV often frustrates me especially programmes that say 'more on that later', by the tim e they come back i have no idea what they are on about. my main issues seem to be words going missing during talking, words being randomly replaced when writing, getting the unspoken meaning of some verbal comments and particularly if i am not 100% i may have to read a papragraph 10+ times to 'get' it. i usually give up way before then.

just writing and then trying to read back this short piece has shattered me so i cannot be bothered to go and correct it. tough!

how on earth do you write stories Sarah??

wayne

ps i also get mad when i suddenly cannot do something i just did 5 minutes ago

11. heaven* help*us

heaven* help*us Registered User

Feb 6, 2016
    London , Uk
    Thank you all for this post. It has really helped me understand my partner. Today the whole day was a very foggy day for him. I asked him to try & explain it. One of you basically rephrased it. Also he gets easily confused with tv programs as well. I didn't realise that was part of his illness and subsequent frustration.
    I always light a candle with you and my partner in mind. I will send up a prayer for you all as well. My heartfelt thanks to you all ♡

12. Olivia15

Olivia15 Registered User

Feb 24, 2016
    Thanks for sharing all of this - my mum's had Alzheimer's for the past 5 years and I used to ask her what it was like for her and she used to talk about feeling foggy a lot. Some of the posts on this thread have been really informative and help me see where she was coming from more in the past :)

13. The Chewtor

The Chewtor Registered User

Feb 6, 2016
    Gillingham, Kent
    What's going on inside

in a very clear moment while out enjoying a walk yesterday, I came up with words that seem to me to sum up what some of the frustration may be. I look out of my eyes and see what I perceive as being the old me, the real me, the capable me. others see the me now, older, with dementia and often struggling. because I cannot accept there is a different me, I get really angry that I cannot do what I think/know I should be able to do. blaming some invisible disease is not an option inside me.

now that I see this jumble of words today, I wish that I could have back the clear moment from yesterday when I am sure it made better sense. maybe yesterday was the illusion and non of it ever makes any sense :D

wayne

14. starryuk

starryuk Registered User

Nov 8, 2012
    Your post makes clear sense!

15. LoisJean

LoisJean Registered User

You make crystal clear sense to me, Chewtor. You are a comfort for me. My relief is immense when I can read these words of yours and say, "I understand that".
    Peace-- LoisJean

16. Emac

Emac Registered User

Mar 2, 2013
    Hi Creative Sarah. Thank you so much for sharing. it is so helpful for everyone. I hope it helps you too. Sometimes my Mum says, I feel like I'm losing my life (which makes me want to cry!) We never talk about alzheimers though- only 'memory problems'.