What does the "Memory Clinic" do?

missmuffit

May 29, 2015
I visited my GP today (at my husbands insistence) to discuss my memory problems.
I have been contemplating a Doctors appointment for a few months now, but always put it off.

After doing a few small tests the Doctor said he wants me to do a "fasting blood test" as he wants to refer me to the Memory Clinic, he also want to see me and my husband together before the Memory Clinic appointment.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the following questions?

My question is what do they do at this clinic?

Also why would he want to see my husband, is this normal procedure?:confused:

Thanks

win

Oct 14, 2012
I visited my GP today (at my husbands insistence) to discuss my memory problems.
I have been contemplating a Doctors appointment for a few months now, but always put it off.

After doing a few small tests the Doctor said he wants me to do a "fasting blood test" as he wants to refer me to the Memory Clinic, he also want to see me and my husband together before the Memory Clinic appointment.

Thanks

The Memory Clinic will do a MMSE test to assess you and then decide whether you need referring for a MRI scan and further assessing. You will be called back to hear the results and to discuss further options.

Your husband has been asked because it is a good idea to have some one else with you to help remember what the Consultant is telling you. You can then discuss this afterwards. Also they should advise you on future planning (for both of you) financially and medically. Your husband will also have a chance to speak with either the consultant himself or a nurse about his issues if any.

Do not worry about this, they are there to help you every step of the way. Ask and ask again if there is anything what so ever you do not understand. This is your health and it is important to get you both as much support as possible.

Let us know how you get on please. x

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013

Thanks
Our whole family went with my mother in law. (My husband, me and our son and daughter.)

They ask your family members if they've noticed any changes in you, and sometimes tell your family what to do that might be helpful for you. Or what to avoid doing because it doesn't help you etc.

Your husband won't mind going with you will he?

missmuffit

May 29, 2015
The Memory Clinic will do a MMSE test to assess you and then decide whether you need referring for a MRI scan and further assessing. You will be called back to hear the results and to discuss further options.

Your husband has been asked because it is a good idea to have some one else with you to help remember what the Consultant is telling you. You can then discuss this afterwards. Also they should advise you on future planning (for both of you) financially and medically. Your husband will also have a chance to speak with either the consultant himself or a nurse about his issues if any.

Do not worry about this, they are there to help you every step of the way. Ask and ask again if there is anything what so ever you do not understand. This is your health and it is important to get you both as much support as possible.

Let us know how you get on please. x

Thanks for the reassuring reply,

I will certainly let you know how things go, although it will be a few weeks before I get to the clinic, if I do need to go there.
Sorry if I misled you with my post saying my husband is required at my appointment, it is my local doctor that wants see my husband not the Memory clinic, but I suppose the reason will be the same as you suggest, to talk to us both as after all if the news is not good it will affect him too.

Thanks again for taking time to help.

missmuffit

May 29, 2015
Our whole family went with my mother in law. (My husband, me and our son and daughter.)

They ask your family members if they've noticed any changes in you, and sometimes tell your family what to do that might be helpful for you. Or what to avoid doing because it doesn't help you etc.

Your husband won't mind going with you will he?

Thanks so much for your reply,

I feel a bit happier now I know this is normal.
No hubby wont mind at all... he wanted to go with me today to my GP appointment but I wanted to go alone, I wish I had let him go as we will need to wait until blood test is done before we see GP together.

Thanks

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Missmuffit, welcome to TP
As said it's normal to have someone else with you at the doctor's appointment be it a partner or family member so the doctor can get input from someone closes to you and get their perspective too.
The memory clinic will assess you and almost certainly arrange a brain scan so they can see what's actually happening, at the same time the doctors will do the test to eliminate any physical causes, poor memory can sometime be down to something as simple as a vitamin deficiency or other physical issues not related to AZ, these need to be tested for and eliminated.
The memory tests are fairly comprehensive but they can put it in context, no-one expects a 70 year old to be as sharp as a 20 year old, some degree of memory impairment comes to us all with age and we don't all age the same way.
K

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Thanks so much for your reply,

I feel a bit happier now I know this is normal.
No hubby wont mind at all... he wanted to go with me today to my GP appointment but I wanted to go alone, I wish I had let him go as we will need to wait until blood test is done before we see GP together.

Thanks

It can be a bit of a slow process can't it? The GP has to do his bit before letting the Memory Clinic do theirs. I'm glad you feel happier about it all. We encouraged MIL to see the GP about her memory and went with her and although she was resistant to the idea she was happier once she had a diagnosis and knew what was going on. She'd never have admitted it of course, but she had noticed she'd forgotten things or repeated things and she was secretly rather worried about it all.

Best of luck with it all lovely. xx

missmuffit

May 29, 2015
Hi Missmuffit, welcome to TP
As said it's normal to have someone else with you at the doctor's appointment be it a partner or family member so the doctor can get input from someone closes to you and get their perspective too.
The memory clinic will assess you and almost certainly arrange a brain scan so they can see what's actually happening, at the same time the doctors will do the test to eliminate any physical causes, poor memory can sometime be down to something as simple as a vitamin deficiency or other physical issues not related to AZ, these need to be tested for and eliminated.
The memory tests are fairly comprehensive but they can put it in context, no-one expects a 70 year old to be as sharp as a 20 year old, some degree of memory impairment comes to us all with age and we don't all age the same way.
K
Thanks Kevinl

I have started taking vitamins that are supposed to help with memory, because as I said in first post I have been concerned about this for months now but put off visiting my GP, I thought the tablets had helped too, but hubby says he notices I still have problems and need to take steps to find the cause.
I know hes right but it did take courage to make that doctor appointment, more so than any other time I have visited my GP......... afraid of what you might hear I suppose.
Anyway I have taken the first step and strangely I have went from putting off even making an appointment to wishing I could speed the next steps up.

I would like to say a big thanks to you all who take the time to reply to these posts I'm sure you help lots of people as you have me.:)

missmuffit

May 29, 2015
It can be a bit of a slow process can't it? The GP has to do his bit before letting the Memory Clinic do theirs. I'm glad you feel happier about it all. We encouraged MIL to see the GP about her memory and went with her and although she was resistant to the idea she was happier once she had a diagnosis and knew what was going on. She'd never have admitted it of course, but she had noticed she'd forgotten things or repeated things and she was secretly rather worried about it all.

Best of luck with it all lovely. xx
Thanks Jaygun
I'm so glad I found this website I have found all reply's helpful and encouraging.
I feel better and wish it was not such a slow process, strange when I didn't even want to make the initial appointment:)

missmuffit

May 29, 2015
Hi all,

Well things are moving slowly, but I though I would let all of you who were kind enough to reply to my post the latest info.
Myself and hubby had the appointment with Doctor16/06/2015 and I had the biggest surprise of my life, after asking my hubby some questions Doctor said he wants me to have scan to eliminate cancer, I had been to Doctors a couple of times last year (i saw a different doctor then )complaining of head pain when laughing,coughing, sneezing, bending etc, (which I still have) it was diagnosed as sinus problem.
I'm now awaiting an appointment at Durham University Hospital, will post when I know more.:(

Thanks again