What does dementia feel like?

Cghrmu

Jun 2, 2017
Thanks

hello Cghrmu
a warm welcome to TP
you write so clearly about your experiences
as a carer, it helps a great deal to read posts from those with a diagnosis - it gives me some idea of how life may be for my dad, so I maybe can support him more sympathetically
I know TP can't alter your symptoms but I hope being a member here will support you and your wife and you will be able to chat with others who really understand
so do keep posting
best wishes to you both

Thank you for your comments, today is a good day and ive been asking myself for years what it is like, hence I can sometimes describe it, I've been asked so many times by professionals to explain it, so have had a bit of practice. ☺️ hopefully I will be able to help others like myself through TP

Damiank

May 2, 2017
Purton, Swindon, Wiltshire
early stage of dementia, Alzheimer's study

There was conducted a small study suggesting that memory loss in patients with Dementia may be reversed. Nine out of the 10 patients involved in the study, who were in various stages of dementia, say their symptoms were reversed after they participated in a rigorous program. The program involve rigorous life changes. The results are incredible, benefits of these changes go far beyond reversed memory.
This study proved that nature, willpower and knowledge can do much more then drugs.
I've got over 8 years of care experience supporting people with dementia mostly late stage. I have genuine interest in naturopathy, advanced knowledge in healing with diet, nutrients and natural supplements, experience of healing my own and my family autoimmune diseases and I believe I can easily recreate the rigorous life changes from that study, the problem is the patients for best results should be in early stage to follow the life changes and should be supervised most of the time at least for the first two- three months.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Damiank
welcome to TP
I think every carer and person diagnosed with dementia would have signed up for any such programme were it to actually do what you suggest
we all live in hope that something will be found to make a difference, and pray for a cure
but it's just not on to make statements of this kind
Nine out of the 10 patients involved in the study, who were in various stages of dementia, say their symptoms were reversed after they participated in a rigorous program
whatever may or may not have been happening in that study, dementia is not going to be 'reversed' - memory loss isn't the half of it
no-one suggests that any current drugs can 'reverse' symptoms; Aricept can help to delay the progression of symptoms in those with Alzheimer's, and other drugs can help with other symptoms - not all drugs help everyone - but to imply that people with dementia can ditch all meds, change their 'lifestyle' and all will be well is just wishful thinking
that's not to say that a healthy lifestyle isn't a good idea; it is, and can help reduce some risk factors ... but sadly not guarantee that dementia won't strike
I wish you well with your own health

Damiank

May 2, 2017
Purton, Swindon, Wiltshire
Scientists REVERSE memory loss 'for the first time' in Alzheimer's patients

Hi Shedrech
I'm sorry if I have offended you, that was not my intention
It wasn't my statement:
Nine out of the 10 patients involved in the study, who were in various stages of dementia, say their symptoms were reversed after they participated in a rigorous program.
I can't post a link yet but you can read the article if you google this title : „Scientists reverse memory loss 'for the first time' in Alzheimer's patients with changes to sleep, diet, medication and exercise.”

dbrilyant

Sep 14, 2014
Back after a year with thoughts on my dementia

I need a picture of my situation which will help me, and I hope others, to cope with my deteriorating ability.

As a child I pictured my soul as a see through pear shaped blob located in my thorax. At Oxford a humanist friend announced she completely rejected the idea of a soul and then said she did believe in.....and went on to give the best definition of a soul I have ever heard. I wish I could remember it. Perhaps “person minus chemical constituents” would summarise what she said.

As I now consider what makes personhood I see myself as a pan-dimensional being made up of overlapping personae. Many of these are based in my brain, but also I include those I am given by my friends, family and faith. The way I am perceived, remembered and treated are part of what it means to be “me”.

I am aware of one aspect of me is gone. I will call her Emma and she used to be my personal assistant. She has now retired ( or perhaps has been sacked). She used to keep me organised and prevented me from doing or saying unacceptable things. She knew what was going and where I had put things. Now I have to look at my diary or search the recesses of my mind to know what happened yesterday. She knew what was in my hand or where I put things without my making any effort. Now I need conscious memory helps, eyes, pencil and paper, emails, alarms on my phone. I also rejoice in NHS support, the patience of others, my husband, and my faith.

So as someone who has lost a leg may look forward to its restoration in heaven, I am imagining I will eventually meet Emma again.

What “heaven” may be I am prepared to wait and see. The Jesus of the New Testament, the human expression of the character of God, and my Lord and Saviour gives me a way forward and I expect to meet him face to face.

Meanwhile picture language may get me closer to the truth than refusing to think about it. So I build on 2 Timothy 1, 12. (I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to safely guard all that I have given him until the day of his return.) Jesus is the one whom I know and trust. Emma has gone to be with him, kept safely for when I will be re-united with her. Like the rest of me she is far from perfect. She used to prevent me from saying the right thing as well as the wrong thing. She fed my arrogance. Yet I trust Jesus has her safely, redeemed through his death, and kept ready for the appropriate time.

I appreciate all she has done for me, but look forward to allowing other aspects of my personality to come to the fore.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy