What does all this medical wording actually mean?

Rubynoodles

Sep 25, 2018
Hi all,
Mum was diagnosed with dementia last Monday. Dad went with mum to the appointment. I wish now that I’d come along too as mum doesn’t remember to much of what was said and dad seemed very positive about the diagnosis, so I’m not sure exactly what was said. Dad has mentioned that the consultant said mum has early stages of dementia and that Galantamine will hold it at bay for quite a few years (dad said 10 but that seems extremely optimistic to me!). A copy of the consultants letter to mum’s gp has come through today. It says her ACE score was 63/100 (dad had said the score was 78) and says it shows a decline in visuospatial skills. She also had a CT scan which confirmed ‘age related involuntional changes, only very mild small vessel disease and early symmetrical atrophy of medial temporal structure’. The letter also asked that the gp put my mum on their dementia register.
Obviously, we are all so new to this. Does this make sense to anyone out there? Thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Rubynoodles
An ACE score of 65/100 is definitely in the dementia range (the cut off point is 88) and the CT scan is showing some actual atrophy as well as some normal age related changes, so it definitely sounds like dementia

Visuospatial skills relate to the vision, so there are problems with things like depth perception, eye-hand co-ordination, identifying things by sight and not being able to do things like draw a clock correctly and copy shapes.

Galamantine is one of the drugs which slows down the decline of Alzheimers. It doesnt cure it and it doesnt stop the decline (none of the drugs for Alzheimers will do that) - it only slows it down, but it can mean that she may have some good years before the inevitable decline.

I do hope this helps. I dont know any more details, though as I am not a doctor, so it would probably be best to ask your GP if you need further explanasions.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Rubynoodles, Canary has given a good outline of the findings.

On a general note I have found it imperative that I accompany my wife to appointments as what is said to her is immediately forgotten and her own spin is then put on things. I suppose the reaction of both of your parents is only natural as they will want to put on as brave and bright an outlook as possible so there is no way of telling if there have been any embellishments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086