What do you think? I need your ideas please. Non dementia related.

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
I am having second thoughts...

A good friend very sadly lost her 24 year old son to Leukaemia this summer. At the moment she finds comfort in little 'signs' that he is watching over her and looks constantly at a small photo of him on the mantelpiece.

Unbeknown to my friend, I have had a copy of this photo enlarged and put on canvas. It was/is a Christmas present, but a couple of people have suggested that it is not wise to give it to her and that something frivolous and unrelated would be better.

The last thing I want is to make things worse for her, so I would value any of your thoughts please if possible. It has left me confused and wondering....am I being completely insensitive?

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Personally I would save your lovely gift for NEXT year. At the moment the loss is too raw.

This year how about getting her a voucher for a spa treatment and making sure you are free to go with her at the time? Or, if that's not her bag, theatre tickets for a comedy show?

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I think it's a lovely thing to do, it may be too soon for your friend or maybe she would cherish your picture.
Perhaps you could ask her in a way that wouldn't let her know you have done the picture for her.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I have lost my mother and my brother in the last couple of years...I immediately had recent and past photos framed and some enlarged and put them in pride of place in my front room...I needed that closeness...so I think it would be a well received present for this Christmas...

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Thank you everyone for your thoughts.:)

Meme, that is how I was thinking initially, but most of you feel it is too soon, so I have decided to ask first (in a surreptitious way) and be guided by my friend's response.

Wishing you all a peaceful and happy Christmas.x.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I think it is a lovely idea, what a nice thoughtful thing to buy, I would give her it but thats just my opinion,

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
The Christmas after my Father died I decided to give my Mother a photo of my father framed. I asked her to look one out and she chose one of them both on a very memorable holiday. For the first few years she kept it in her bedroom and never commented on it. Now it is in the living room and she loves looking at it.

I would ask your friend first. It's such a lovely thought of yours. With my Mother I think I gave it to her a little early. Losing a child is totally different than being widowed.

Last edited:

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
update

I just wanted to update you. Following all your advice/thoughts, I kept the picture and sent my friend another present. As you said, it seemed too raw to open the picture on Christmas day.

Instead, I arranged to go down to visit her yesterday. After a while, I mentioned the picture which I had left in the car and asked her if she would like to see it or whether it should wait for another time, which I completely understood.

She was happy to have it and we spent some time walking round the house deciding where would be the most appropriate place for it. In the end it is to be placed in the hall at the bottom of the stairs. She said that way she could look at him every morning as she came downstairs. A lovely idea.

So all has ended well. Thank you all. xx

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
What a kind and thoughtful friend you are. So many herechave faced the death of a loved one. Gestures like yours are never forgotten.