What do you miss the most

Lunadimonza

Jun 11, 2014
London
I miss the daily nonsense telephone calls from my Mum, which strangely sometimes irritated when I was busy or just rushing out the door. Now I long for those back!
Oh and someone who hugs me back!
Annette

I miss the telephone calls too. 500 miles apart but I know her number so well. I miss unpacking my shopping and giving her a blow by blow account of my purchases on a Saturday afternoon. I miss telling her about my day, sharing ups and downs. I miss our discussions about politics and her wisdom. I miss being able to call her when I need advice, jam making, brain surgery, but sadly dementia was not one we found a cure for. Mum has cures for everything else.

But what I love is the way it has made feel about other people, value every minute, well, not quite every minute. I love my bare faced bravery in liberating here berets and small precious things on my most recent to Scotland. Actually not so small. I liberated and purloined things of value to mum and her friends to be shared out. Photographs of my dad, a few cardies, leggings (I kid you not - very stylish but recently selected by an 88 year old). I even borrowed

bound2y

Jul 8, 2014
The thing I miss is his affection. He used to be loving caring man. The dementiavas left him a cold self centred person I don't know anymore. I also miss his laughter. He used to have a great sense of humour. I lost my husband and best friend to dementia X X x

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
The thing I miss is his affection. He used to be loving caring man. The dementiavas left him a cold self centred person I don't know anymore. I also miss his laughter. He used to have a great sense of humour. I lost my husband and best friend to dementia X X x

You are so right bound2y -It is the easy-going laughter, affectionate sense of humour, gentle mocking of me when I made mistakes (I am hard on myself), just his being there when needed that I now miss the most. My best friend in the world has left me.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Can't add to posts already on here. They are all so sad, they bring on the tears. I suppose time will eventually heal us all but, just at the moment ....

Sent from my GT-N5110

johnkeats

Apr 15, 2009
lancashire
Hi Lyn T

you have just described my life with my partner and friend Morag,likeyou and pete we talked all the time morag would say the telly is rubish shall we turn it of and just blether i miss how every time we went anywhere morag would grab my hand and not let go,i miss the lovely holidays we had we would just get a flight somewhere and do our own thing that way we never had a bad holiday.morag loved dining out on warm holiday evenings,morag had a ritual that i loved when we were getting ready to go out ihad to put music on (usually the eagles hotel california) an album that meant things to us then a sherry and out we would to find anice taverna or restaurant we never went on holiday with other people we just liked to be together.tomorrow is the fifth of november and it will be four years to the day since i held her hand for seventeen hours till she slipped away. i hate this filth disease.i just miss her so much they say it gets better with time but it does'nt.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
you have just described my life with my partner and friend Morag,likeyou and pete we talked all the time morag would say the telly is rubish shall we turn it of and just blether i miss how every time we went anywhere morag would grab my hand and not let go,i miss the lovely holidays we had we would just get a flight somewhere and do our own thing that way we never had a bad holiday.morag loved dining out on warm holiday evenings,morag had a ritual that i loved when we were getting ready to go out ihad to put music on (usually the eagles hotel california) an album that meant things to us then a sherry and out we would to find anice taverna or restaurant we never went on holiday with other people we just liked to be together.tomorrow is the fifth of november and it will be four years to the day since i held her hand for seventeen hours till she slipped away. i hate this filth disease.i just miss her so much they say it gets better with time but it does'nt.

What a lovely post johnkeats, your love for your wife shines through, you must miss her terribly, you have some good memories,

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon

Life is so tough isn't it? To miss someone so much is heartbreaking.Your Morag sounds as though she was a lovely and fun lady.Who wouldn't miss someone so special? Like you and Morag, we always went on holiday on our own; we just loved each others company.

Perhaps tomorrow, on the anniversary of Morag's passing you could do something special? I know you don't need reminding of your Wife as you obviously don't. Perhaps light a candle and look at some photos? Oh! and don't forget to play Hotel California and drink a small sherry in her memory.

Also don't forget that if you have any difficult feelings, or want to talk, there will always be someone here to 'talk' to. The support is ongoing and given by very concerned and supportive people.

Take care

Lyn T

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Your post is so moving johnkeats. Your relationship with Morag sounds very like mine with my husband. I'm lucky enough to still have him here with me.

I love 'Hotel California'. Yes. Play it and have a sherry in her memory and remember all of the good times. I hope you keep in touch here as you will always find support and understanding.

johnkeats

Apr 15, 2009
lancashire
hi Lyn t -izzy-jeany123-truth24.thank you for your kind replies to my post,its good to talk to people who truly understand this terrible disease.i have two beautiful children a boy and a girl (both turned fifty)who fuss me and support me,im not too good at being fussed or supported.people tell me they understand an know what i have been through but the dont they havn't been to that bad place that does something to you that can never be repaired. i get intolerant now with people who whinge about petty things and cant see what good things they have in their lives Lyn T you said that morag sounded like a fun person i get disjointed memories that flash through my mind'''like a hot summers day ,the french windows are wide open,i am in the house and morag has just taken the washing out to hang up to dry when she shouts clive ,i go out and she hasn't put a prop under the clothes so they are hanging low and morag is kicking the backside of a pair of my jeans and shouting i'm giving youre airse dokey wich translated into english means i'm giving youre backside a kicking.that and million other memories are what keep me sane.thank you all. c

Last edited:

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Today's visit made me think of how much I just miss chatting with mum, whinging about things.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
At this time, I am missing even the visiting to the nursing home as I did for 3 years.
I am missing the nurses and the carers and am trying to pluck up the courage to visit and give them the chocolatesI have bought for them.
It is going to be hard but I would like them to know that I haven't forgotten them even though with up to 80 residents, they have probably forgotten me!

I know I'm selfish to do so as he suffered so much but I just miss my husband too, however he was.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
When I started this thread I listed some of the things that we enjoyed when Pete was well. Now he's gone I can say the thing I miss the most is his physical self-however divorced that was from his 'normal' pre dementia self.

I understand Saffie.

Love

Lyn T XX

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
In this season, there is so much that I miss. Roger loved Christmas and we shared so many happy memories at this time of year, we even got married at Christmas. We had so many little traditions that we had developed over the years.

Now, he doesn't know it's Christmas, and doesn't remember getting married. I guess I'm luckier than some, so should be thankful for what I have.