WHAT DO YOU DO? Help!

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
What do I do?

Need help about hospital discharge can someone PM me whom knows the rountine, please.
Thanks

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Magic

sounds bad - sorry about that; not what you need!!!!!!!

I suggest you call the AS helpline, CAB, etc if no-one from TP can offer help.

I think you have a little leeway before your meeting at the hospital, so try to stay as calm as you can - easy words, I know.

Best wishes, and sorry not to be more helpful.

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Here's the deal.

My mum is absolutely raving, yelling at the top of her voice and going mad. She has been at this for a few days and the hosp has decided she is magically cured of infection (she will not keep an IV line in so is a real pain for staff).

They are getting ready to discharge her home to me and I do not accept my mother is medically stable yet. She has never yelled her head off for hours on end before and they will give her absolutely nothing to sedate her because of her chest condition. So am I supposed to watch her like this night and day? No nursing home (not a reputable one anyway) would take her like this and there is no way on this earth anyone could manage the way she is.

What happens if I just don't accept her home? Would they find somewhere horrible for her or would they have to press on with medical treatment? Surely this isn't right? Her eyes are completely yellow and she is sweating buckets.
Once I accept her home they will all do what they did before and turn their backs on me. I will probably end up going insane.

Last edited:

susan

Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Dear Magic
Oh how i feel for you, but remember if you do not have the care and support in place at home they can not discharge! How you both need a big cuddle and you some sleep - i can feel it. Ask for a second opinion that will stall things if that is what you want. Will send a PM now.
Love Sue

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
What Eo You Do

Dear Magic

I have no personal experience of this sort of situation.

But my first instinct is to say I would absolutely refuse to accept your mum in her present condition.

No doubt the hospital will try to threaten you with all sorts of alternatives, but I would stick to my guns and throw the onus onto them.

If they move her to somewhere you do not approve of you can always bring her home later, but I do not think it will come to that.

In the meantime follow Bruce's advice and consult the AS and/or the CAB.

It may sound cruel, but what use are you to someone who is obviously in need of medical treatment, besides which if you are worn out you cannot help your mum at all.

Chin up Magic we are all rooting for you.

Cheers Barraf

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Magic
Where are your social worker and you CPN?
These are the people supposed to back you up at these times.
Get hold of them fast, and refuse to accept mum at home in the condition that she is in.
Hope this helps
Norman :confused:

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Mum won't be going anywhere, she is incredibly ill. I knew there was no way she was medically stable it was a ridiculous suggestion to take her home.

Last edited:

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Magic, just goes to show that you know her best doesn't it. For all their training, you had to point it out. Stick to your guns, don't be bullied, hope the morning brings better things, love She. XX