What do we do?

nescafe

May 27, 2012
Hi Its been a while since I have been on the forum. Life has just got more complex. My mum is undergoing assessment at the moment, we've been told she's muddling along but not in crisis!! Dad went into hosp on 10th December with pneumonia and injuries from a fall. Still in. He wouldnt mind Mum not visiting every day because it always stresses him but if we dont arrange to pick her up she wanders round the village telling people all sort of tales. She's lost all concept of time and will ring up early morning demanding to know why we've not picked her up.Shes now wearing the same clothes every day but if I say anything starts to get angry.Hospital keep saying Dad may be ok to come home soon despite not being able to get out of bed unaided or go toloo. Mum cant care for him so what happens next?:confused:

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Follow through with the assessment and get as much support as you possibly can, I'd also talk to PALS at the local hospital and ask to speak to the REACT team who manage discharges when that time comes. The hospital have a duty to ensure a safe discharge. It does feel like a whirlwind of information and meetings, I'd also be having a financial check up to make sure Mum is on the right level of benefits to pay for the support she'll need.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Its been a while since I have been on the forum. Life has just got more complex. My mum is undergoing assessment at the moment, we've been told she's muddling along but not in crisis!! Dad went into hosp on 10th December with pneumonia and injuries from a fall. Still in. He wouldnt mind Mum not visiting every day because it always stresses him but if we dont arrange to pick her up she wanders round the village telling people all sort of tales. She's lost all concept of time and will ring up early morning demanding to know why we've not picked her up.Shes now wearing the same clothes every day but if I say anything starts to get angry.Hospital keep saying Dad may be ok to come home soon despite not being able to get out of bed unaided or go toloo. Mum cant care for him so what happens next?:confused:

Hello
I find it very strange that you have been told mum is not in crisis, if mum has lost all concept in time and is wandering ....
May I ask who is assessing mum , ie is it social services or another team

Here is a factsheet on here about hospital discharge that you may find helpful
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=173
You may well have to fight for them to follow their procedures,

It may be that dad could go into respite care to recover

To me it sound that mum may need to go into respite care for her own safety

Last edited:

nescafe

May 27, 2012
Hi

Mum is being assessed by the adult mental health team. The police were involved on saturday so she is now on their records as a vulnerable adult. Dad is getting stronger and poss ready to leave hospital but she cant care for him and he wants to leave so it is all getting v complicated. Not helped by the silly fact he is in hospital in herefordshire but lives in worcestershire!!!

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Dear nescafe

If your dad cant get out of bed, he cant care for your mom. If your mom wander, she needs care too.

Idk how find careers on UK, but your parents need it, or maybe they can go to CH until your dad can care again.

Dancing Demon

Dec 31, 2013
Not sure if this is the case for all hospitals, but I think they have a Social Services/Care team attached to them.

* A word of caution - they will only respond when the person is on hospital premises - once they are discharged they wash there hands of them *

They will need to make sure everything is OK.

I have been dealing with Social Services for 2.5 years now and they have been a nightmare, however on calling the emergency line late on Friday, they had residential care sorted out on the very next day.

Good luck and I hope it all works out soon.