what do i do?

poppet

Aug 3, 2007
thank you so much for those thoughts...i will ponder things some more but will of course let you know how things pan out.

poppet

poppet

Aug 3, 2007
hi all,

does anyone have any experience of quinetapine? how well it works, best time of day to take, how long before seeing effects, doseages etc...any help on this would be useful info...mil has been taking this for a few months now with an increase in dose...because of how she is, she often either takes more than one dose in a day-she thinks its the next day, so for her she is taking one set a day-which then leaves her short for the week so somedays she might not take any...not ideal so we tried a 2 week trial of med prompts from hubby popping in daily...not suitable long term but ok as a trial...no change to her increasingly deteriorating behaviour...in fact we suspect it has made thngs worse..the daily visits not the drug.still stuggling to deal with the directness of her questions regarding hallucinational situations so i am still looking for ways to help all of us deal with that too.

thanks

poppet

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello poppet

The only person who can give you informed advice about your MIL`s medication is the doctor who prescribed it.

One thing I can say, is she is not reliable enough to monitor her own doses.

If your husband no longer visits daily, does she have any home care who can check when she takes her tablets.

My mother used to play with her dose box and, as she was never sure what day it was, didn`t know whether sh`d taken the tablet or not.

poppet

Aug 3, 2007
ahhhhhhhhhhh

sorry needed to do that...just got an email from bil, mil dropped home safe and sound, reported few 'problems' whilst away at his for the week. great!

then...stability being helped by walking stick (she has never used this to our knowledge and obviously for their benefit:mad:)he then tells us that mil has it clear in her mind about when she should take the tablets:mad::mad:year right thats obviously no the case when we saw mil last she had added tablets and mixed them up , hadnt taken them for a few days and even when he arrived he saw they were mixed up again...but hey she knows what she is doing with them know eh?:eek:
he went on...the microwave they bought for her for christmas she is stuggleing with (in his words -even though it is a simple one to use)....this is after she set fire to her nightdress in the last one which was working fine bt they chose to tell her that they would replace it because it wasnt???he doesnt seem to understand that she cant use it cause it is NEW and therefore a new skill to learn!!!

so sorry to go on and let rip but i have got a bit worked up at her arriving home today as things are getting worse and more stressful here...with things (care etc) being put in place at a cnails pace...but getting there...
thanks for reading
poppet

poppet

Aug 3, 2007
hello TP!

ok...today a fantstic bit of news:D

spoke to hubby again...frankly...and found that he is now in total agreement but we discussed his views and concerns and thoughts on how to deal with things compared to others...including myself, mil and bil...

hubby took mil for another ecg today to see if she could go on different meds...await results...on their return, hubby relayed info to bil and put in the suggestion of med prompts on a daily basis...hubby had found and detailed all relevant info regarding this...bil phoned...agreed to all...

after we picked ourselves off the floor;) he then floored us again by saying about carehomes in the area and that he was researching those as well...not for now but for future...i think he has an understanding now of the disease process and is starting to deal with it...i think we will have moments like yesterday but for now all is rosey:D

poppet

poppet

Aug 3, 2007
oh...forgot to say...mil is also in agreement:eek: what s going on...dont care all is good:D

poppet

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh good news poppet. I expect there'll be some backsliding at some point but 2 steps forward and one step back does at least get you 1 step forward.

Best wishes