what do i do?

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Husband taken into hospital due to aggressive mood outbursts. There has been no outbursts since he was admitted. They are only watching him no medication change or anything. His carer went in and phoned me to say his speech is better as well. He said he misses me and home. They told the carer he is in for 2 weeks and maybe he should be in care if he gets aggresive at home. He isn't ready for to go into care and i don't want that ether at this moment. His carer said that he thinks he knows something is wrong and something happened. Should i bring him out sooner as nothing is being done and see how he is? I still have to hammer SW to get more help as still getting the same as i started with.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Chip

It's a problem isn't it? In your shoes I'd be inclined to let him stay in hospital for the two weeks, to see how he gets on. If he becomes aggressive again, they may decide to modify his treatment. But it does sound as if he is settling more.

I think you should try having him home again at the end of his two weeks to see how you go. He wants to come home, and you want him home, so him going into care would make you both unhappy. So you have to try having him home, you can always reconsider if it doesn't work out.

I hope things continue to go well with him. You enjoy your break while you can.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi chip,

What would YOU like to do and what do YOU think would be the best?

You know your husband better than anyone. Do you think being taken into hospital has given him a shock? Do you think he has any control over his behaviour?

How is he when you visit? How is he when his carer visits? Do you think when he comes home he will stay with the carer and let you have a break?

If you possibly can, I would wait the full 2 weeks he was taken in for initially. And while you can, while he is in hospital, keep on at the SS for more support ready for when he comes home.

That`s how I see it, just my feelings and thoughts. I hope it helps.

Love xx

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
I would be inclined to be patient and let him stay the 2 weeks. If you bring him home early it might be difficult to persuade SS you need more care as they will claim you haven't given hospital full chance to assess him. People are rarely taken into care if the person at home is willing to look after them. The best option might be to use this hospital stay to refresh your energies and prepare your case for having more support to look after your husband at home when the assessment is completed.
Blue sea

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
I think Bluesea makes a lot of sense. Why not take this time to really relax and refresh yourself? Also, if your husband is on his "best behaviour" in the hospital, he is unlikely to be able to maintain this for a full two weeks. If he does have an aggressive episode whilst in hospital, it will better allow the doctors to see how he can behave, and to make better judgements about future medication.

Dear Chip, this is not easy for you. But remember that you will cope better if you have a little respite now. Thinking of you.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Chip, do you mean you've been sent for xrays and tests - or your husband? Either way, I hope you get some answers which could be helpful. Thinking of you.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Chip,
I agree with the others, you should just wait out the 2 weeks & see what happens. A "wait and see" attitude is probably the best in this situation. My opinion only,

Love
Joanne

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Yes it's me who has been sent because of my leg. Social Worker hasn't taken this into concideration ether.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Oh Chip, you poor dear! I hope they can work out what is wrong with your leg and give you the correct treatment. Thinking of you and sending "get well" wishes your way.

tazzi22

Feb 17, 2007
Edinburgh
Any Ideas?

I am quite new to talking point and not sure if i', posting this in the correct place.

My mother is having outbursts, refusing to do anything when i take her out and not getting out of the car. She is suddenly more confused and has said a couple of times recently that she doesn't know me, like me or want anything to do with me. My dad is the main carer but i give him restbite 2 or 3 times a week (as well as my full time job - i do as much as i can) Lately i wonder if i can cope with such a resisting attitude, how can i let my dad down - i can't. She is going to the gp on tuesday and i wondered if there is anything he can prescribe to make my mum less confused and angry - some sort of sedative. Any ideas appreciated. She has had the condition since 2003.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Message for Tazzi.

Hello Tazzi,your post needs to be placed under NEW THREAD you'll find this on the top left and bottom side of home page. Post reply is used for making a reply to a posted thread. I am still feeling my way around this forum also, I hope that this has been some help to you. I am sure another TP user will be along with more experience and explain it better. Tazzi in regards to your post I found my mum became quite upset when she was taken out of the house and so to give dad respite away from mum; he would leave the house.Dementia sure throws some challenging behaviour. Good Luck Taffy.:)

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hello Chip, you are having a worrying time of it and a bad leg to top it all off, at times it seems that everything happens at once. I do hope that your leg is better real soon and things improve in the way of help for you.I think you have received some sound advice here and I would just like to wish you well. Keep Safe Taffy.:) :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So sorry chip.

Everything seems to be piling up for you. Make the most of the time you have to yourself, by trying to get your own health problems sorted out and if the SW hasn`t taken that into consideration, make sure she is reminded.

Look after yourself.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Tazzi

Don`t worry too much about posting in the right place. You can start your own Thread with your next post.

Has your mother been happy to go out with you before? Has her behaviour changed?

If so, would you be able to go to her GP with her to explain how she is changing. It might help.

Take care

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Tazzi

Welcome to TP. Don't worry about where you post, you haven't done anything wrong.

It's just easier for us to listen to your story, and advise if we can, if you start a new thread. Will you consider doing that?

But you can post to any thread that interests you, the more people who contribute the more helpful it is.

Looking forward to hearing from you again,