what do I do?

cercis

Sep 30, 2006
soth-east london
Hi, everyone. I've just joined and this is my first forum, so I am still learning what to do.
My mom is 91 and has vascular dementia. She has been in a care home since 2001. When we chose it, it was really good. We had been social workers and knew what to look for. We were very impressed with the Head of home, who was very hands-on and worked closely with the staff and residents. She knew them all really well. The staff were, by and large, very caring and supportive. Then the Home was taken over by Abbeyfield - it had previously been an independent home under the Abbeyfield umbrella. The Head of Home was taken away from the front office into the office at the top of the building and we never saw her. After some months, she resigned and the Home started to go down hill. There are a group of staff who hold the power and are intent on using it against other members of staff. They have also been nasty to residents. Money has gone missing on more than one occasion. It has been very hard on other staff members who care a lot for the residents. After a year, another manager has been appointed and we had a meeting with her to tell her our concerns. She assured us everything would change. There are now more staff, but the neglect of my mother continues. As an example, I have to cut her toenails and fingernails as the staff do not 'feel comfortable' doing it - I only discovered this one day when she took her shoes off. On Sunday, we noticed she had no soap, so we bought some. The following Tuesday, her keyworker saw me and asked me to buy her some soap as she had none. Does that mean she had not seen my mother at all that week?
We have tried complaining, but are very concerned that she would be targeted by the staff - this has happened to others.
Mom is frail and settled and knows where everything is and we have been reluctant to subject her to a big upheaval. We are now actively looking for another home for her. Does anyone have experience of moving their relative from one home to another? Any tips/advice?
It just shows that homes can be excellent when you first see them and then deteriorate rapidly.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Cercis.

The same happened with my mother and I sent a letter of complaint to her Social Worker.
The Social Services visited the home on a random visit and investigated, not only my complaint, but they carried out an Inspection of the Home.
There is an Inspection Body, who can be contacted, if the System is still the same as it was in 2001. They produce Reports, which are available to the public. I`m sorry I can`t be more specific, as I`ve forgotten the details, but I`m sure it won`t be too difficult to find out more. I wouldn`t be surprised if the Alzheimer`s Society have Fact Sheets.

Do complain. I know we`re all terrified that complaining will have repercussions on Residents, but we have to let these homes know we mean business.

Good Luck.... Grannie G

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
P.S Even though things did improve, I`d lost Trust in the Home and did move my Mother, eventually.
The New Home was marvellous. They sent the Deputy Matron and one of their cars to transport my mother. I did not go. Instead, I went to visit my mother in her new home, and she was fine and settled from Day 1
If the Home is good, it is in their own best interests to settle a new resident happily.

mw52

Aug 25, 2006
Leeds
Web address

Hello
This is the web address for the inspection reports http://www.csci.org.uk/ - hope it helps.
It's a nightmare of a job trying to find somewhere nice and I know exactly what you mean about complaining. These places have got us all by the "you know whats". Good luck whatever you decide to do

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I have made a complaint to the CSCI about the home my mother was previously in and have not been impressed with their response. I won't go into all the gory details here as there is a thread on it anyway, although I have not updated it for a while. I do not regret making the complaint and would advise anyone to do the same.

This is the thread if anyone is interested and there have been developments since I last posted on it which I will get around to adding some time!

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/TalkingPoint/Discuss/showthread.php?t=3020

After my mother had left the home we found out that CSCI had conducted a random inspection at 6am one morning following anonymous complaints that residents were being roused very early. They found that this was true! I only found this out by looking at the CSCI reports on their website and I would have thought that relatives should have been informed. As you can probably tell I am not a big fan of the CSCI!

Our local paper had an article this week about this same home getting 5 stars! These stars come from a private company and I have tried to find contact details for them previously to find out whether they look at inspection reports and complaints before awarding these stars. I am intending to get on the case again! I also found out from the latest CSCI inspection report that there had been another complaint made about the home and I am hoping to find out the details.

Last edited:

cercis

Sep 30, 2006
soth-east london
thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Your experiences and advice are so helpful. I do so appreciate it. You can feel really alone when you're in the situation. We had a meeting today - by that, I mean concerned relatives - and decided to write a letter to social services and the CSCI. In the first instance, this will not be a formal complaint, but we will ask them to address certain issues on their next inspection - such as the fact that no-one, including the new head of home has any qualifications or training in dementia care - other than one day! The home was registered for 15 dementia residents when the previous head, who was trained, was there.

noelphobic, I read of your mother's experience - a very similar thing happened to a resident about a month ago and she died. It is so cruel.

Last week I visited another home nearby, very highly recommended. It was lovely, really excellent, but unfortunately, my mother is not ill enough to be considered. Isn't that ironic? But at least I know it's there for her.

I'll keep updating this thread with the responses I get from CSCI and social services.

Thanks for all your support. I need it.

varbell

Oct 4, 2006
cumbria
Hi Cercis
Sorry To Hear That Things Don't Seem To Be Right In The Home Your Mum Is In.
I Suggest You Have A Look On The Websit For:-

The Commission For Social Care Inspection And You May Get Some Information Of There If You Need To Complain.
Good Luck Varbell