what do i do when im in pain and have to look after my husband

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
is there anyone whose knows have to bring pain down with sciatica please. i cant move more than 7 steps and have to sit down again. my husband who has dementia has been really good about it but im struggling. my doctor has told me to up painkillers but nothing is working, im tired as cant sleep with the pain so im drifting through the day. any hints appreciated

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Has GP given you anti inflammatories as well as pain killers? I had slipped discs in lower back causing sciatica. Also told to use ice packs (wrapped in tea towel) every 2 hours whilst lying down. Sitting tends to be the worst position so if you are watching tv could you lie on a sofa rather than sit on a chair. I also used a TENS machine (although this dulls the pain to make it manageable)
I eventually found a very good physio who provided me a good home exercise plan which I have been using for 15 years which does help. I think you can self refer to a physio now (phone number from GP)
Obviously trying to obtain support is made all the harder when caring for someone and current times. I hope the pain does subside soon as I know how miserable it is.

Last edited:

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I know how you feel, quite often my 90 year old mother has to bend down to get something for me.
When it’s really bad there’s nothing to beat Valium and painkillers to knock you out for 48 hours (but you can’t do that)
Best suggestions, avoid sitting, loll in the chair. Ibuprofen, both internal and topical. I had a long course of private acupuncture/physio. Pilates is good to correct posture. Try and move around if you can (I know it hurts...more than hurts, it’s awful). Doctor can prescribe stronger painkillers if necessary.
in my experience there are bad backs and bad backs. This morning I woke up with discomfort and a headache, two paracetamol and a cup of tea and I am ok. Then there is the other one, which is what you have. Pain that is awful. Make sure the doctor knows what you have.
My thoughts are with you and I hope you will feel a little better today.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
When I had sciatica, OH was in early stages. I think the doc gave me some strong painkillers and I took to my bed for a couple of days. that meant OH had to provide me with such food as I wanted. He managed cereal on one occasion, and toast at other times! To be fair, that was all I could eat, but he used to be a good cook.
If it was later in his illness I’m not sure how we would have managed.
All sympathy and I hope you are better very soon.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have recourant problems with a disc and sciatica and a few weeks ago triggered problems by bending over putting dishes in the dishwasher :(. I felt it go "pop" and just left everything to go to bed in the vain hope that come the morning it would be OK again. Of course, it wasnt.

I have exercises to do from a physio who I saw quite a few years ago and phoned up the doctor for some heavy duty pain-killers and anti-inflammatories and got a friend to pick them up from the pharmacy. I phoned up the care home where OH had previously had respite to see if they could take him for a week, but wasnt surprised when they said no, so I phoned the care agency and doubled the carer slots for the week. The carer we have in the mornings is lovely and she helped me get dressed too. Between the increased carers, the medication and exercises I got through the worst and is now back under control, although OH has been very stressed and now has a nasty outbreak of eczema. :rolleyes:

I dont know if any of this is of help to you. The pain from a bad back is excruciating. I certainly feel for you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sorry to hear you`re in so much pain @jennifer1967 and @canary. It`s pain I know from nearly 30 years ago and I can still identify with it.

Being a primary carer adds another dimension and this pandemic shows contingency plans are not always as reliable as thought.

@ jennifer1967 I hope some bed rest even without sleep will ease your pain eventually.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Has GP given you anti inflammatories as well as pain killers? I had slipped discs in lower back causing sciatica. Also told to use ice packs (wrapped in tea towel) every 2 hours whilst lying down. Sitting tends to be the worst position so if you are watching tv could you lie on a sofa rather than sit on a chair. I also used a TENS machine (although this dulls the pain to make it manageable)
I eventually found a very good physio who provided me a good home exercise plan which I have been using for 15 years which does help. I think you can self refer to a physio now (phone number from GP)
Obviously trying to obtain support is made all the harder when caring for someone and current times. I hope the pain does subside soon as I know how miserable it is.
i cant take anti inflammatories and the doctor has given the number of physio so will be calling them once i can walk more than a few steps then have to sit down couldnt even make a cup of tea this morning and looking into tens machine thanks for your reply.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
thanks to all that replied. i cant take anti inflammatories gives me stomach pain. i have heavy dose nerve painkillers and have taken valium twice but nothing is touching it. i have tried every position,lying down sitting up and everything in between. im lucky my husband only has a mildly so can cope as long as he remembers to turn everything off. im grateful about that he loves cooking and that is one skill he has carried on. the neighbours are helpful and brought my wshing in and my son and his partner are coming to help tomorrow. its the pain in my leg thats killing me and i dont know what to do with it. it will get better and awful before that. thanks for the support/advice it makes a huge difference

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger