What do I do, or who do I contact?

KConzelmann

Jul 7, 2014
I need help with my neighbor!

My neighbor has been diagnosed with dementia and in my opinion is at an unsafe level of living alone (I will explain). We live in a condo association and she is my direct neighbor. I've never experienced interacting with a person who has dementia and I am fearful of a few things. She is continuously walking over to my condo asking me for things such as an egg, potatoes, onions, sugar, coffee, etc. which I don't mind helping her out, I am more than happy to do so, however the requests are beginning to come with signs of neglect by someone who should be taking care of her and not living on her own. After approaching the condo association board they are unwilling to do anything at this time as they feel that it would be crossing a line they do not want to cross, which I can understand, however it doesn't help out my situation.

Is there someone or an agency that I can or should contact to get her help. I do not want to cause controversy or in any way get involved but I am extremely concerned about her well-being.

One of the most important things that I am fearful of is her own well being. Her family, what seems to me, has totally neglected her and will not help her in any way. Her family relies on neighbors that they call to ask where she is or if they can check on her. She also has a son who is not mentally stable (also my perception) that comes and stays with her on occasion but again is not fit for caring for someone let alone himself. He continues to spend her money leaving her with needs that are uncared for like the above mentioned scenarios about food and supplies she needs. (She tells me these things)

Secondly, I am concerned about my own well-being. I am unable to smell and have poor eye sight. I have atrial fibrillation and if there were to be an emergency such as a fire, my condo and hers is adjoined and I fear that I would be in danger if something were to happen. I have all the necessary alarms in place for me including Life Line, but am still very concerned. I hate to sound so mean and uncaring because that is truly not where I am coming from, but I don't like to live in fear and I don't like when someone is being taken advantage of.

Next, if I have family over to visit and if she is outside or in the garage in her chair, she either begins screaming at them, yelling non-sense at them, or is extremely fearful of them and hides and peaks around the corner until they are gone. If they say hi to her or waive to her she responds usually by yelling something but not understandable.

Finally, she has repeatedly told me about how she has been diagnosed with dementia and the pink pills she is taking is beginning to make her hallucinate.
I don't know what do, where to go, or what to say. What do I do? Please help!!!