What do I do now

Skinnyone0

Aug 23, 2014
Hello my name is Linda I am 57 my hubby is 61 and recently been diagnosed with Early onset Altzimers he is on 5mg Donapensel ( cant spell)
What do I do next he seems to be ok just forgetfull and sometimes sleepy and short tempered gets flustered easily.
Ive informed dvla n he got his licence for 1yr assesment we still go away in our caravan which he tows no problem but how long will this last ?
Questions Questions
So sorry
Linda x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

avril

Sep 11, 2013
Carmarthen, Wales
Hello my name is Linda I am 57 my hubby is 61 and recently been diagnosed with Early onset Altzimers he is on 5mg Donapensel ( cant spell)
What do I do next he seems to be ok just forgetfull and sometimes sleepy and short tempered gets flustered easily.
Ive informed dvla n he got his licence for 1yr assesment we still go away in our caravan which he tows no problem but how long will this last ?
Questions Questions
So sorry
Linda x

Hi Linda, Sorry to hear about your husband. I have early onset Alzheimer's was diagnosed last year. My next driving assessment comes up the end of this year. Everyone is different, some can continue driving for years after diagnosis. I get tired more often, its hard work trying to keep up with everything, for myself even conversations can be hard work, everyone is different. I also get flustered, sometimes things seem to be slipping away and you are desperately trying to reel them back in. How did he react to his diagnosis, does he talk about it.
Talking is always good

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello Linda and welcome to TP.

My husband managed to retain his licence for 4 years, others on here have managed for a lot longer. You will soon see that there is no set pattern with life with dementia. Everyone is different.

Hopefully you will continue to have many more holidays with your caravan. Take each day at a time, try to not look to far ahead, enjoy today.

Look forward to seeing you join us,

Jay

Skinnyone0

Aug 23, 2014
Thankyou all for your Replies I am sure I will be on here lots and it does help reading about others experiences of this illness
Linda x

Skinnyone0

Aug 23, 2014
Just a quick update Bernie and I are having a lovely caravan holiday at Blackpool he seems to be a lot less anxious and less stressed now we are here although still forgetting things and shouting at me when he takes a wrong turning but guess thats all part of the altzhimers .. I am just taking one day at a time
Linda x

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Questions Questions
So sorry
Linda x

Hi Linda, good to meet you although I am sorry you have had to come go TP. We are a couple of years ahead of you in terms of Alzheimer's and we are both in our 60s. My husband is also on annual driving licenses, still enjoying driving. We travel a lot which he still enjoys. We had a caravan but he began to become anxious about had he done everything correctly. Thinking of the future I didn't want to tow if it became necessary so in January we changed to a motorhome. We have just spent 5 weeks travelling round France in our motorhome. He did decide when we got over there that he didn't really want to drive abroad so I did nearly all the driving there. Mick is on the same drug but 5mg moved to 10mg after a month.
My advice would be to get lasting power of attorney in place as soon as possible, then it's done. I also successfully applied for attendance allowance this year.
Keep posting and reading. We will journey together!

Clovie

May 23, 2014
I hope you don't mind me hijacking your post. I noticed that your husband has been diagnosed medication. My Mum has just turned 66 and was diagnosed in May. In hindsight we think she's had it for about 5 years but it took a long time to get help. They haven't and currently won't prescribe medication. Can I ask whether you had to fight for it or whether it was given as soon as he was diagnosed? Thanks for listening and I'm sorry that you are having to go through this x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Jackalina

Feb 1, 2014
My hubby has frontotemporal dementia and was told not to drive, he did a driving assessment and the examiner was happy with his driving and said he would probably get his license for a year, he will be 70 in January. Today the letter we received from driving assessment centre says we have to confirm with the consultant whether he is happy to allow him to drive, his mental test result was very low. Can I ask other members who have been allowed to continue to drive how well they did in mental test?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I hope you don't mind me hijacking your post. I noticed that your husband has been diagnosed medication. My Mum has just turned 66 and was diagnosed in May. In hindsight we think she's had it for about 5 years but it took a long time to get help. They haven't and currently won't prescribe medication. Can I ask whether you had to fight for it or whether it was given as soon as he was diagnosed? Thanks for listening and I'm sorry that you are having to go through this x

My wife (about 55 at the time) was prescribed it straight away (Donepezil also called Aricept), however, a few years ago when I was doing all this with my Mum she was prescribed nothing but she was in her late 80's and until the licence on Aricept expired (2012) it was very expensive, the generic version donepezil is much cheaper and so is I understood routinely prescribed. 66 is no great age these days so it would be worth asking why not, unless it conflicts with some other medication I thought it was routine.
Back to the topic, SkinnyoneO just take everyday at a time, whilst there are a lot of common issues no 2 peoples journey with AZ are exactly the same.
Having done the whole thing with my mother only to have my wife diagnosed less than a year after my mum died I think you need to do some practical planning on getting any help available, planning your finances and looking at your household situation should you downsize now so he can get used to a new environment, there is a lot to think about but you'll find a vast range of answers on here, see what would work for you.
K

Clovie

May 23, 2014
Thanks very much for your response. I really appreciate it x

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire

My husband was prescribed Donepezil as soon as he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, 5 mg for a month then 10mg.

Tufty

Jul 18, 2014
Bristol
Some thoughts

Feel a bit cheeky posting here, since my experience of Alzheimer's comes from my Mother's illness, but some of the lessons learned may be applicable.

The biggest practical thing that I've learned is make changes early, don't put them off! As the disease has progressed Mum has less and less insight into her condition and her husband's (ie my Dad's) state of health, and has become more and more resistant to change. (Gather from reading up on the disease and from browsing Talking Point that this is typical). For example I just had a MAJOR fight about getting a carer in to cook evening meals. I insisted because Dad took a fall last week, while I was here, getting something out of the oven. Mum insisting not needed.

So, consider having a carer or cleaner come in now - even if you don't really need them. Even it's only for half an hour once or twice a week. I think it would be so much easier to expand hours at a later date, than to try to introduce a stranger into the house at a later date.

Did your husband take care of the finances? If so, make sure you know details of the various accounts. If he is the one with on-line access for home banking and you've previously left him to it, then get your own access and start learning.

Get gas, electricity, water and such like into your name now, if they are not already.

If you've played with the idea of down sizing to a smaller, more manageable house - do it now. It will only get more difficult if you put it off. Small is good for maintenance and the like.

Does your husband accept the diagnosis? Massive help if he does. Plenty of good stuff from the Alzheimer's Society for both of you - see the Memory Handbook for example.

Has he been offered Cognitive Stimulus therapy? Local Memory Clinic recommended it strongly and quoted good evidence for it. Of. Of course my Mum rejected it :(

Have you been contacted by the local AS with offer of a home visit? Do accept it! Based on my experience these are good people with lots of experience and ideas.

What activities does your husband enjoy? Can you and he choose current activities that can be modified, but continued, in the future? Let me try and explain what I mean .... My Mum was on the committee of her local historical society, and loves visiting National Trust properties but (looking back) we were too slow to adjust once she got the MCI diagnosis. She gave up on evening meetings because my Father found driving to them too difficult. Why or why didn't we try to find a fellow member who could give her a lift to society meetings? Why didn't we push her to join the local NT group so she (and they) could get used to her going on outings, and then continue this as her condition worsened. Because we did none of these things she now only gets out if I drive her.

It's a steep learning curve that we all have to go through. Very best of luck to both of you!

Tufty

Last edited:

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
I am sure there is no need to feel cheeky Tufty as you have shared some valuable pointers which can be applied in various carer relationships. I know from things with my Mum, that the saying "Hindsight is a wonderful thing - if only we had it earlier!" is so very true.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Talking Point mobile app

Tufty

Jul 18, 2014
Bristol
Postscipt - Legal stuff.

I am not a lawyer, but .....

Have you both made wills? Are they up to date?

Living Wills - particularly for your husband, but might be more acceptable to him if you both make them.

Power of Attorney - both Financial and Care? (Not sure of terminology). Financial PoA has been very useful for me as a son. I'm sure others will know pro's and con's of each for spouses.

Tufty

PS Not legal - which doesn't mean it's illegal ;). Crete a list of essential phone numbers, addresses, reference numbers and the like for Doctor, Dentist, Neighbours. And keep it up to date!

If you're like me, you have such information scattered everywhere. I just wrote down a list of my parents' numbers, since I'm off to join my wife on holiday for a week :):) I knew I had complete set of phone numbers for their neighbours on one side - could I find those numbers, could I heck!?

Skinnyone0

Aug 23, 2014
Can anyone advise me on where to start to set up power of attorney.
I am having our Wills done next week
Is there anything else I should do.
Thanking you in advance
Linda x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi take care you do the right one as their is an, Ordinary power of attorney, which becomes invalid when the donor loses capacity.

Or the one we usually mean on here , LPA Lasting Power of Attorney, their are two
one for Finance and property , which depending on the wording can also be used before the donor loses capacity,
The other for Health and welfare which can only be used when the person loses capacity.

Link for LPAs
https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview

Have a look at the forms , you don't have to use a Solicitor to complete or register the forms.
You don't have to do the two types, many just do the Finance and property one
Though it will cost more I do advise getting the Health and Welfare one, in the hope you will never need it.

You are also entitled to a reduction/disregard of council tax, not sure which one others here will know,

Their is an old thread on here you might find helpful if not now, for the future.
I must admit it is far from easy and doesn't always work
Compassionate communication with the memory impaired

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired

Last edited:

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
You can get attendance allowance £54 per week I think. Once that has been awarded you can apply for a reduction in council tax.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Just had a search Re council tax disregard and found this.

Someone who has a severe mental disability or mental illness (however it is caused), which appears to be permanent, is said to be severely mentally impaired. They should also be entitled to one of the benefits listed below.
•Attendance Allowance
•Constant Attendance Allowance
•the high or mid rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
•an increase in the rate of Disablement Pension
•Incapacity Benefit
•Income Support (which includes a disability premium)
•the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
•Severe Disablement Allowance
•Unemployability Supplement
•Unemployability Allowance

We need to see some evidence that this person receives one of these benefits or a pension. Please send this with the application form.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
You can get attendance allowance £54 per week I think. Once that has been awarded you can apply for a reduction in council tax.

I did this and the cheque came in the post yesterday:D They back dated the payment to the date of the original diagnosis (3 years ago) cancelled the direct debit so I've nothing to pay until next April and gave me a cheque for the rest all because I read about it on here, thanks guys.
K

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan