What did you do over Christmas and New Year?

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
What did you do over Christmas and New year?
Well not sure what day, but I watched 3 older lovely films, no violence, just about people and their relationships with others. I know one was 'Ladies in lavender' and I think Judy Dench was in them all,but in one very young! About a bookstore.
I also watched a program about Judy's life and acting career.
One about wildlife in a French village, and caught up with 'life on this planet 2'
Watched the making of 'one ballet, and the full version of another, 'Sleeping Beauty' sorry I can't drag the name of the other out of my befuddled brain!
Dragons den is always a favourite, and a film with Billy Connolly in it last night, but sadly know he made it knowing he had Parkinson's and would eventually die from it! Even though I sadly fell asleep before the end, Joy filled me in this morning[emoji847].
No I was not glued to the he TV, but as I have to do these days I was careful as to what I watched, and what I watched suited me!
Where else could I have watched two 'Ballet's' Nature program's and three or four good films, and a biography of one of my favourite actresses, not sure if Biography is right term!!
No I can't remember a great deal of any of them, even though I had seen three of the films numerous times over the years, and probably Judy's biography at least a couple of times! But I do know I thoroughly enjoyed them all, and that's quite an achievement for me[emoji847]
I have no idea as to what the future holds for me and Joy, but then neither does anyone else.
We can all plan and scheme what we think the future holds for us, but at the end of the day none of us actually knows, life itself will decide for us, unless of course one of us takes the matter into our own hands, and even then you can't be sure!!!

I am not advocating the latter!!

Thinking of all those who care for us!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Not over impressed with the French nature program, but BBC had a lovely wee French made children's film about a little girl and a fox which C loved. These, and the new year concert from Vienna are the little pleasures in life. :)

All the best Jeanie.

Zana

May 12, 2016
We walked the dog a lot...
We had lovely time trudging through the forest and across the common all alone while other people had lie ins after the night before!
We spotted a pelican..Yes it really was a pelican and the local zoo (very small) says its not theirs!

My daughter and her partner came round we played rummy (that being the only card game OH can remember) and had a great laugh.
We didnt see much TV at all but we did manage to catch the Raymond Briggs animation film about his parens Ethel and Ernest and the documentary about the French village OH is keen on wildlife things now..

New Year was a bit of a trial...Lots of fireworks that upset the parrot and OH had a few words with one of the neighbours.. I came home from walking the dog and found another neighbour here backing him up. He said he thought it was a bomb turns out the holigans had put a large fireowrk into the drain outside our house....

Glad its all over and we can get back to normal now though..

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi,
Jeanie, the film was '84, Charing Cross Road' based on the book of the same name. I saw it, then fished out my copy of the book, which I noticed I had bought in 1974!, and read that!
I saw Ethel and Ernest as well, enjoyed it. Lots of things I remember from the 50s/60s.
The rest of the time, from Christmas Eve til now I've been suffering with the cough / cold that's going around!

Last edited:

Belinda3

Mar 9, 2014
its been very stressful.
today was quieter, for the first time in a long time I could breathe...
turned tv on, and to my delight the beginning of a 2 hour programme about Ken Dodd. Made me really smile, I have seen him live twice and met him afterwards, he is such a genius :)

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
Hi,
Jeanie, the film was '84, Charing Cross Road' based on the book of the same name. I saw it, then fished out my copy of the book, which I noticed I had bought in 1974!, and read that!
I saw Ethel and Ernest as well, enjoyed it. Lots of things I remember from the 50s/60s.
The rest of the time, from Christmas Eve til now I've been suffering with the cough / cold that's going around!

Yes that's right [emoji173] I also watched Ethel and Ernest, lovely [emoji173]

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
its been very stressful.
today was quieter, for the first time in a long time I could breathe...
turned tv on, and to my delight the beginning of a 2 hour programme about Ken Dodd. Made me really smile, I have seen him live twice and met him afterwards, he is such a genius :)

Sorry it's been stressful [emoji173]

ossie10

Jul 22, 2013
i know i shouldn't have but ate bucket loads of chocolate,sweets,my son cooked christmas dinner and other son came around christmas eve.
My daughter had her first christmas away in sheffield works in mental health center for eating disorders(missed her)
Suffering choc withdrawl and son now has me on chicken and brown rice diet lol
So all in all the quietest christmas i have ever had,but got through it and now onto getting that personal alarm

Wishing all the gang on here a happy and healthy new year

love ossie 10 xx

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Christmas and new year for me was spent with my partner and her kids, although I had to return home in between the 2 occasions as we were both working.

Not eaten too much which isn't like me but I do have some christmas cake left to use up...

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
Lovely replies, and sorry for those who it was not so good for. Think most will be pleased to get back to 'Normal'
I had visit from someone from memory clinic, they are going to get someone to come and check my swallowing and other problems are in hand!
Have no memory of actually replying to posts on her!!!

Haverton

Sep 12, 2016
Essex
Several of our family went to France for Xmas. We all had different modes of travel. My partner and me chose Euro Star. It was a bit of a challenge at times but my wife (God Bless Her) got us there. Once there we had a great time especially as it was our Grand daughters first Xmas it was magical for us even though she is only 8 months. Travelling home was much easier.

We had a quiet New Year just the two of us which was nice and peaceful. Like you we settled down to watch old and new movies.

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
Several of our family went to France for Xmas. We all had different modes of travel. My partner and me chose Euro Star. It was a bit of a challenge at times but my wife (God Bless Her) got us there. Once there we had a great time especially as it was our Grand daughters first Xmas it was magical for us even though she is only 8 months. Travelling home was much easier.

We had a quiet New Year just the two of us which was nice and peaceful. Like you we settled down to watch old and new movies.

Pleased you had o lovely time with family[emoji847]

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Did any of you watch Witness for the prosecution? I did and enjoyed it and the plot was handled well. Ive read the book, seen the film and this was good but I felt the sex scenes were gratuitous - oral sex and banging headboards? - not Agatha Christie. Well not in her books. I don t know what she did in private. My daughter says this is routine in our sexualised society and I am overthinking it.

Personally I dont care anymore what people do but I like my books to be represented truthfully.