What clothes for hospital on the off-chance of a stay

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Hi,I look after my mother she's bedbound at home as has no mobility,in her bed she wears a t shirt or a pj pullover top and doesn't ever wear bottoms.
Can anyone tell me what I should have handy for mum in case she ever has to spend any time in hospital,as I like to be prepared and need suitable attire on standby,for instance what type of nigthtwear and how many sets would it be sensible to buy?
Would they hoist her in to a chair and so would she need any other types of clothes?

Petunia59

Oct 11, 2019
Hi, You say your Mum is bedbound. What happens at home? Does she get dressed/sit out of bed at home? I would pack the type of stuff you will need for an overnight stay anywhere. The amount depends on how often you will be able to visit but always keep it to a minimum; there's not a lot of space to keep things. I've also found that hospitals quite often use their own gowns anyway, whether this is for their own convenience or they're not aware Mum has spare clothes I never discovered.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Hi she does get hoisted in to her recliner and wears lounge pants on those occasions,I just wopndered if they expect you to wear a nightie or pyjamas and if it was worth going and buying several pairs in case of wetting

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Mum has had several hospital stays, lasting up to 3 months at a time, and the hospital provided both night gowns and pull up pyjama trousers. Mum was usually dressed in the night gown with the trousers on underneath. We did take some of Mum's own nightwear in but the staff never actually put her in them. I wouldn't worry too much about buying new things as the chances are that things you bring in may go missing.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum was in hospital recently and by the time I got there had been changed into a hospital gown (I was at work and it took 1.5 hours with no extea peak time trains) On the ward she was in a hospital nightie. She wasn't with it enough to be changed into clothes to start with. I offered to bring in nightclothes or normal clothes but as she was happy they said not to bother.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH is in hospital ATM and although the hospital dressed him hospital pyjamas and OH doesnt care, it bothered me, so I took in some PJs for him.

Yes, your mum probably wont be aware, but if it bothers you, you can get short jersey nighties that look like long T shirts (our local supermarket sells them) quite cheaply. She wont need outdoor clothes for sitting in the armchair - a fleece round her shoulders and a hospital blanket over her knees will suffice

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Hi she does get hoisted in to her recliner and wears lounge pants on those occasions,I just wopndered if they expect you to wear a nightie or pyjamas and if it was worth going and buying several pairs in case of wetting
Thanks

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Thanks everyone that makes me feel better,I was dreading mum ever having to go in and them being surprised that she didn't have a huge array of nightwear,my mother hadn't ever been one for clothes shopping,but she has quite a lot of clothes as I have been buying them over the last few years and it's been fun to see her in some nice colours as she used to wear mainly dark colours I suppose as she felt she was a large lady,she's enjoyed the brighter stuff though

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
OH is in hospital ATM and although the hospital dressed him hospital pyjamas and OH doesnt care, it bothered me, so I took in some PJs for him.

It did bother me that mum wasn't in her own clothes, but it didn't bother her and I only have so much time (for which I feel a little guilty but not enough to worry for more than 10 minutes).

Whilst she was bed bound it was easier to leave her in a hospital gown as she can get feisty about personal care.

So the answer probably is if you have time and can afford it.

My mum is in sheltered extra care 15 minutes from my house the other direction to the hospital so if she had needed stuff I would have popped to M & S which is less than 5 mins from my house or 10 mins from hospital.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I took other half PJs but found very often as they left him in bed he wasn't wearing anything on the bottom half. When mum was in I took her PJs in as she always wore them and was mobile but they catheterize her so JPs were a nuisance and nightdresses were better. When OH was in rehab they asked for proper clothes as it helps psychologically with recovery.