what care home

absey

Dec 13, 2010
ashford kent
does anyone have any experiance with EMI care homes in the ashford kent area were hearing so many horror story , what to find the best for dad i can but has to be goverment funded

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello,

Only advice I can give is google EMI care/nursing homes in your area and then visit them. Our daughter and myself visited 20 homes, some real horrors, some ok and a very few good. Of the 20 we visited only 5/6 came into the ok/good catagory and they were all full with waiting lists. Most homes take LA funding rates. Hope you find somewhere that you are happy with but it wont be easy.

Because of my husbands very complex needs he is in a very specialit nursing home and it is wonderful. We have been very lucky but we did but the work in.

Jay

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I agree that visiting as many as you can is the best way forward. Turn up unannounced (late am or mid afternoon) and see what sort of welcome you get.

You might also like to have a chat with someone in your local Alzheimers Society branch - they should be able to direct you to the local EMI units.

Anyone with recommendations for absey should send a PM - we are not allowed to name specific homes on the forum.

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
... Turn up unannounced (late am or mid afternoon) and see what sort of welcome you get.....

I'd definitely recommend this - although my dad isn't in an EMI home he went in for emergency respite (although he's now permanent) and we had to view the home which had available beds quickly - so we just turned up, and they were perfectly happy to see us and show us round. Nothing to hide, what we saw is exactly what we got.