What can/do libraries do?

susannahthree

Apr 25, 2014
Hi there.

I work in a community library and have been curious about what I might be able to do in order to help people struggling with or promote the awareness of Alzheimers. I am well aware of the disease and its effects, but I am unsure where to start in what the library can offer.
I have also been approached about organising events or resources to align with Alzheimers awareness week later in May.

Does anyone have any experience with libraries offering service to or in support of people with Alzheimers? Or have any thoughts about what can be done better in libraries in this respect?

Thanks,
Susannah

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi there.

I work in a community library and have been curious about what I might be able to do in order to help people struggling with or promote the awareness of Alzheimers. I am well aware of the disease and its effects, but I am unsure where to start in what the library can offer.
I have also been approached about organising events or resources to align with Alzheimers awareness week later in May.

Does anyone have any experience with libraries offering service to or in support of people with Alzheimers? Or have any thoughts about what can be done better in libraries in this respect?

Thanks,
Susannah

My library were very good in helping me to register as disabled with them so that I don't have to worry if I forget to renew my books on time, I don't get charged. I did ask if they could email to remind me when they are due, but they said it was not possible at the moment. But they are always very helpful. These are my initial thoughts in response to your post will see if I can think of anythign else.

Thanks
Sue

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi there.

Thanks,
Susannah

Hi Susannah and welcome to TP :)

I am not a librarian - far from it - but I know that in this area some libraries stock 'Memory Books'. I understand that these are books especially accessible to people with dementia, being pithily written :p Some are about local history and others have lots of local photos. One of our librarians set up the catalogue marked 'M' so they are easily found in lending libraries.

Sorry if that's a bit vague but it's all I know :eek:

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
my local library have asked me to give a dementia friends talk when they have their well being event. i also had a photo exhibition in Nov and planning a new one for October

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Talking Point mobile app

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi there.

Thanks,
Susannah

The librarian in our library researched the books available in the Quick Reads series and offered to order some in for my husband as he still enjoys reading. As he reads more slowly and with less understanding it takes him a long time to get through the kind of books he used to read. Her attitude towards him and his needs was excellent. A very positive experience!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I work as a volunteer in a Patient help and information room and there is a service here called 'Books on Prescription'.

The idea is that the GP recommends books about anything relevant to a patient's condition and the library will obtain what it can from a designated list.

We found that our GPs were not doing this so we have taken it a stage further and we work in liaison with our local library. The library have all the books on this list and we recommend people to go to the library for these books which can provide further information and/or support.

The next stage will be for us to recommend other books to add to their collection.

legolover

Jul 25, 2011
West Midlands
My local library runs monthly "reminiscence " sessions where the librarian shows pictures, books, etc of byegone days and encourages conversation. My mil is taken there with a small group from her day centre. apparently she really enjoys it and has lots to contribute to the chat. Perhaps you could do something similar.

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
I have nothing to add to the thread. I just wanted to say how great it was to read of positive experiences.

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan