What are you doing to take care of yourself?

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
No worries, the MOOCS are usually a weekly course of 6-8 weeks some are as little as 3, yes some have tests and yes you can buy a certificate if you wish.

Although there are tests, you don't have to pass them! ;) And you can do the studying whenever you like, even months after the course has officially finished, often, because the content stays online.

The best thing, though, is that because the courses are free, you can leave them at any time and not feel guilty :cool:

Lindy xx

MILVascularDem

Oct 14, 2015
Deep South in the USA
Hi my me time I booked myself into the hairdressers once a week that's MY time and although most the time I worry at least I feel a little better for having a little pampering and time out

MY MIL still goes to the hairdresser once a week!! She's been doing that since the beginning of time!! She will lay in her bed all week - not want to do ANYTHING - but by golly - on "hairdo day", she's up and ready to go. And believe it or not - that is some of MY me time - when she's sitting in the parlor, I'm able to shop a little ON MY OWN! And then, it dawned on me - I can get a little pampering too. So, in the warm months, while she's having her hair done, I will get a pedicure!! NICE!!!!! :)

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Combination therapy

Me too patsy.....very annoying :rolleyes: I find prosecco is best for my migraine-sensitivity :D x

We have mixed mulled wine, with cooking, and singing to South Pacific to good effect: Happy Happy Happy Talk. Combination therapy at its best and now we have food to look forward to: cooked in coconut oil of course. :)

Our paper will be out on this approach to dementia soon. G L and Maureen et al.

Extract can be reviewed now at G L @confused .com

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Thank You

What a helpful and positive post. Thank you MILVasculardem for posting this.

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
Thank you very much to those who suggested online courses. I've signed up to one beginning mid January and just doing that has given me a huge lift.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Seven New MOCC Courses

Newsletter out today listing 7 new courses. All free and some good subjects on offer including Poetry and Literature for Mental Health.

Course extract:

Together, we’ll be exploring a variety of texts, from classic poems by Philip Sidney, William Wordsworth and Emily Dickinson, to modern memoirs by Melvyn Bragg and Rachel Kelly. We’ll consider how works spanning nearly five centuries can provide us with new ways of thinking and talking about different mental health conditions that affect people today. We’ll also reflect upon the potential of literature to offer us comfort, companionship, escapism or advice during life’s most difficult times.

I'm sure Nitram will be along soon and post the link. I can't seem to get the hang of that! G L

Last edited:

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
I saw that - it looks good, doesn't it? x

Yes I've signed up. Told Maureen I needed a bit of 'high culture'. She said 'what's wrong with low culture?' A sure sign she is on the mend.

I think I had better back off on all this in-house cognitive stimulation as she is demanding the living wage now and complaining that the kitchen is not up to working temperature. I just don't know what she is going to come out with next. You just can't get the staff these days!:):):):)

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Yes I've signed up. Told Maureen I needed a bit of 'high culture'. She said 'what's wrong with low culture?' A sure sign she is on the mend.

I think I had better back off on all this in-house cognitive stimulation as she is demanding the living wage now and complaining that the kitchen is not up to working temperature. I just don't know what she is going to come out with next. You just can't get the staff these days!:):):):)

Maureen has a point there! I have also downloaded some Johnny Cash and Elvis music if that counts.....;)

Think I'll enroll too, it looks a really interesting course.

And I'm currently doing 'The Mind is Flat: The shocking shallowness of human psychology' too :eek:

Lindy x

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
Reviving this thread

Just felt the need to revive this thread. This is after I took a long walk today in the lovely spring sunshine. It made me feel so much better after an emotional roller-coaster of a week (details on another thread).

I love walking. It just soothes my soul like nothing else. There are some great ideas on this thread for other ways to decompress from the stresses of caring. I would love to hear more ideas.

Take care all. xx

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
Hi Dmac, good idea to revive this thread.

I manage an hour Studio Pilates every week, no matter how tired or stressed I am I always come out feeling loads better.

I've been thinking about perhaps swimming once a week too.
Best wishes Jox

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
Hi Dmac, good idea to revive this thread.

I manage an hour Studio Pilates every week, no matter how tired or stressed I am I always come out feeling loads better.

I've been thinking about perhaps swimming once a week too.
Best wishes Jox

Ah yes, swimming!

The luxury of feeling suspended in the water, cosseted, like a bath. Bliss! x

cat64

Sep 1, 2014
Aqua aerobics every monday morning, kindle fire always reading and gaming.

I child mind so we run away into the local deer park to play and have a serious coffee and biscuits!

Loud radio 2!

And cuddle one of my 5 moggies!

And if I have any spare money..rare.....I goto the theatre I love musicals.

Hoping to relax a little more now mum is in a care home and I wont be on tenderhooks that the phone will ring and mum will need sorting out long distance!;)

Tiller Girl

May 14, 2012
I do online courses...the current one is genealogy which I also love doing.

I've also enrolled for a short art course. I love drawing but haven't done any for many years so I'm hoping to start that again.

I also knit and crochet......

I find if I keep busy I stress less.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
I do online courses...the current one is genealogy which I also love doing.

I've also enrolled for a short art course. I love drawing but haven't done any for many years so I'm hoping to start that again.

I also knit and crochet......

I find if I keep busy I stress less.

Just wondering!! I drink strong black coffee! Sure won't that do??

Aisling