What are the new rules Oct 2023

Chris100

Nov 19, 2021
What are the new rules, October 2023, for maximum lifetime payments for care-at-home, anyone

update2020

Jan 2, 2020
What are the new rules, October 2023, for maximum lifetime payments for care-at-home, anyone
none. they were only proposals that were supposed to be paid for by a rise in National Insurance contributions. Now that the new government (Truss...) looks determined to remove that increase in NI and to cut taxes, I personally doubt that they will happen at all.

Underappreciated

Mar 11, 2023
none. they were only proposals that were supposed to be paid for by a rise in National Insurance contributions. Now that the new government (Truss...) looks determined to remove that increase in NI and to cut taxes, I personally doubt that they will happen at all.
Can any one help me , ppl are telling me I should quit my job and stay home to care for my mom , who I moved in w me 5 months ago. Who b do I call to get paid to care for my mom? She can’t be home alone at all now….

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Can any one help me , ppl are telling me I should quit my job and stay home to care for my mom , who I moved in w me 5 months ago. Who b do I call to get paid to care for my mom? She can’t be home alone at all now….
You can get carers allowance for yourself but it isn't much. Attendance allowance for your mum and carers credit for you (ni contribution paid towards your pension).

It's really hard work looking after PWD at home and most people can't manage it. Have you powers of attorney for her ? It might be worth getting a social services assessment for her (and you).
I'm sure others will be on with relevant links.
I think most folks on here would advise you think carefully about giving up your job.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Underappreciated and welcome. Sorry to hear about your situation, is it relatives that are telling you to quit your job and look after your mum full-time? As has already mentioned, it's not easy caring for someone with dementia and if your mum can't be left on her own at all it will be a lot for you to deal with so make sure that you get as much help and support as you can. Giving up work is a big step and you need to think about your own health and well being too as it is very easy to find yourself stressed and suffering from 'carer burn out'. Whatever you decide to do, you will find this is a friendly, supportive place.

The links below might be useful as they explain the care needs assessment process for requesting help for your mum from the local authority, although bear in mind that there may be quite a lengthy wait for an assessment. There are also links with details of how to claim carers and attendance allowance:

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Underappreciated and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I am sure that you will benefit from joining our friendly community. I am guessing that anyone who is telling you to quit your job has no idea what a huge undertaking it is to try to care for someone with dementia at home. It would mean a major change to your life and one that might well fail as your mom's needs are likely to grow well beyond what one person can provide. Other options are available. The enclosed might help you but if you need further suggestions please come back with any questions that you have.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Who are these people “telling you” that you should give up work to care for your Mum? Are they offering to help as well or just expecting you to take on the job completely by yourself?
Where did your Mum live before she moved in with you, can she go back there? If she cannot be left alone safely maybe you should be thinking about residential care for her?
Do you have Lasting Power of Attorney for her?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA