What am I supposed to do with her?

judyjudy

Mar 19, 2008
west sussex
Hi Everyone
How about this...
NH - Senior Nurse 'Your mother read the paper yesterday and today and now she is refusing to take any of her medication because she read that it could do her harm!'
This was the article about the dangers of taking too many vitamins and also the article(s) about Alzheimers and drugs. She clearly told me today that at last, she knew the truth - the NH are drugging her and that is why she is so confused!!!! Not only has she stopped taking the quetiapine, she has also stopped her iron, calcium, thyroxine and sleeping tablets. Hardly surprising all in all that her BP has soared to 166!
She does seem calmer in herself though but no change as far as I am concerned - still the public enemy! The NH staff all tell me that although she is quite rude to them, she is talking to a couple of the residents, went for a sherry this morning and a quiz; eats like a horse and sleeps like a log - can't be bad. However, to me, the food is evil, no-one to talk to, and :eek:the doctor tried to get into bed with her!! This I find a little far fetched... Hasn't showered or bathed in a week - 'don't know how to use the shower' and 'I am not going to ask them anything'
Hey ho the plus side to all this is that I slept like a log last night, first time in ages and that the NH staff tell me that they think she will settle and have seen a difference already.
I suppose that she has only been there one week and I cannot expect miracles especially where my mother is concerned!
I will keep you all posted thanks for all the messages of support, I really do find them so encouraging.
Judy

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hi Judyjudy

Hey ho the plus side to all this is that I slept like a log last night, first time in ages and that the NH staff tell me that they think she will settle and have seen a difference already

Sleep, perchance to dream.
Have another good night.
BarbX:)

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
It's good to hear that you've all got through a week and you slept like a log. Have you seen the thread about Freud? If you are sleeping like a log, you won't be able to contribute to the recurring dream solving!! :D

Seriously though I am pleased that you've got through another phase of your life caring for mother.

Love Helen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Not only has she stopped taking the quetiapine, she has also stopped her iron, calcium, thyroxine and sleeping tablets. Judy[/QUOTE]

Hello Judy.

My husband went through a phase of refusing his tablets, in fact he threw them out of the toilet window and I found them when I was doing the garden. He also hid them in his shirt pocket, forgot about them and they made a bit of a mess of his shirts as they went through the wash.

One day he complained he didn`t fell very well. I told him it was his own fault for not taking his tablets. That worked for a while. Another time he asked to see the doctor to help his memory. I told him he has tablets for his memory [he hasn`t] but he throws them away. So now he`s grown out of that phase and takes them regularly.

Just lie in wait for the right moment.

Keely

Aug 6, 2007
your right it is never simple!

Hi Judy
There is no easy answer is there? My mother is not at the stage your mother is but she is paranoid about all manner of things and trying to discuss or reason with her just leaves me near to tears cos the conversation becomes nonsense! And wonder what the heck I am doing! Sometimes it’s possible to divert my mum but often its not and it’s so wearing listening to it and God help me if I disagree!

The carers from what you have said seem to be managing your mum so that's good news. I have to say the problem for me is so much of my mums behavior as the traits of the dominant no nonsense women she was but much much worse! Is not easy and certainly never simple! I sympathize. I hope she settles. Take care, thinking of you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet