What am I letting myself in for?

Squelchy

Dec 5, 2007
You are doing great and it sounds like she is doing a sterling job with her nan.

I hope she considers at least finding out about support out there. It may be good for her nan to slowly mix with other people in a similar position. We are about to try with my mum - easy does it though.

:confused:

No idea if it is the right or wrong thing. Every situation is different.

She's doing an amazing job with her nan and she should be proud of herself. After reading that thread on what happened to that poor man in that care home I'm even more in support of her decision to look after her nan herself.

She might find out about alternative support eventually, but given what's just happened I know her absolute priority is not to let her nan out of her sight and to be there for her. She doesn't want to think about any more than she absolutely has to, obviously.

She's a strong person and will manage to support her nan well, she just doesn't need anything extra to organise or think about right now.

I think it was a bit stupid of me to send her the link to this thread to be honest. I know she wants to reply to it and I don't want her to become involved in this discussion because it will only make her more upset. I should've really just kept it as a place for me to discuss things and find out more information on Alzheimers.

Squelchy

Dec 5, 2007
That's going to be difficult because there's a tag that one of our members has in her signature line - "If you've seen one person with Alzheimer's, you've seen one person with Alzheimers". There is no way to know if any given person will display any given behaviour - all we would be doing is playing the statistics game. It's a degenerative brain condition, so memory loss is a given, but anything else is just guessing. Also, you need to bear in mind that many elderly people have other health issues that may affect their prognosis and behaviour. I suppose the one thing I would say to anyone who hadn't been exposed to this disease before is: this isn't, generally, a gentle slide into happy befuddlement. There are very few accurate portrayals of this disease in the media. The memory loss aspect may be one of the easiest aspects to deal with (not easy, but easier), because there can be some very, repeat, very challenging behaviours that go along with it. They don't happen to everyone and they don't happen in a specific order so it's darn near impossible to plan for them. All I can say is that's there's a good chance if something comes up, and you post in this forum, there will be more than person who'll say "yes that happened to us". In fact, I'd be willing to rate that as 100% certain.

I'm not sure I understand your point? Are you saying to expect the unexpected?

Really, all I can do in my position is to just be here for her as and when she wants to talk and to educate myself as best I can. Maybe that education will never be enough until actually put into the practical situation, but then, it's the best I can do so I'm going to do it.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
No, not entirely. Just that there is no way, mentally, to prepare yourself for dementia. It's a process, rather than a destination. You deal with each thing as it comes up, because you don't know WHAT will come up.

As to your girlfriend asking questions - although we generally like to discuss things on the board, because that way you have a range of opinions, it is possible for registered memeber to communicate via Private Messages.

Squelchy

Dec 5, 2007
No, not entirely. Just that there is no way, mentally, to prepare yourself for dementia. It's a process, rather than a destination. You deal with each thing as it comes up, because you don't know WHAT will come up.

As to your girlfriend asking questions - although we generally like to discuss things on the board, because that way you have a range of opinions, it is possible for registered memeber to communicate via Private Messages.

Thanks Jennifer. I guess I will have to bear that in mind, but this is still very much a hypothetical at the moment and something I am doing to make myself feel better and more positive.

I'm sure if she wants to ask questions or make a comment she'll do what she thinks is the best thing. She's not one to be shy about saying what she thinks!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I think it was a bit stupid of me to send her the link to this thread to be honest. I know she wants to reply to it and I don't want her to become involved in this discussion because it will only make her more upset. I should've really just kept it as a place for me to discuss things and find out more information on Alzheimers.

Dear Squelchy

I've just read through your thread, and I'm a bit concerned that we're not hearing from your girlfriend. As far as I can gather, she's asked you for space, and I really think you should respect this. It would be good if she would join in and tell us what she really wants.

If you really want to learn more about Alzheimer's, you couldn't do better than to check out this post and download the attachment. It's an excellent booklet.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showpost.php?p=107542&postcount=7

I'm not trying to put you off, but you've been given excellent sources of information. All we can do here is try to answer specific questions, based on our own experience. None of us are experts, in AD or in relationships.

I wish you and your girlfriend well,

Squelchy

Dec 5, 2007
Dear Squelchy

I've just read through your thread, and I'm a bit concerned that we're not hearing from your girlfriend. As far as I can gather, she's asked you for space, and I really think you should respect this. It would be good if she would join in and tell us what she really wants.

If you really want to learn more about Alzheimer's, you couldn't do better than to check out this post and download the attachment. It's an excellent booklet.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showpost.php?p=107542&postcount=7

I'm not trying to put you off, but you've been given excellent sources of information. All we can do here is try to answer specific questions, based on our own experience. None of us are experts, in AD or in relationships.

I wish you and your girlfriend well,

Thanks Skye. I'm sure she will post in this thread if she wants. I know she sympathises with a lot of the people here.

The thing is, it's a complicated situation. I do respect her need for space, I really do. I've made a decision not to talk to her about anything other than pretty light-hearted stuff until she makes the positive step to talk to me about it. That way she still gets a little light relief when things get too much without feeling like she has anything else to think about, and I think that would be what is best for her. Although we've arranged to talk just once monthly we have been briefly chatting daily which she's been happy to do and I think will continue to be happy to do as long as we're both happy and talking mainly only of lighter things, which is OK with me.

The problem is we have always been 100% honest with each other and God willing will continue to be, so when she asks me how I'm feeling, right now I can honestly answer that I feel fine. But then when we start talking about what if things go wrong, if she wants me to be honest then I have to tell her that I'm feeling suicidal, and not in a casual way either. I know that's in no way emotionally fair to her to tell her that, but she wants honesty from me, so that is what I give her. She sees that as emotional black mail, but if I did it then I would make sure she never found out and would get some of what litte noney I have so she could enjoy a holiday while a proper carer cares for her nan.

That's why I feel all discussions of the future, us, and whatever else she's got going on is kept minimised in favour of us talking about anything and everything else.

I really feel like now is not the right time to making huge decisions about everybody's future.

Basically I know she does'nt want to talk about this stuff right now, I'm hoping she won't, and instead will allow me to regale her inane tales from my party days, manay of which I have not yet shared with her.

Last edited:

icklebutterfly

Dec 5, 2007
East Sussex
Hello, I'm Natasha and the person that Ev (Squelchy) is talking about.

There are a few things that I would like to clarify really, because it will help people to understand why my reaction may seem extreme. In the past few months, my life has completely changed, I had to move out of my home temporarily due to faulty electrics, which meant that I was staying with my grandparents. Unfortunately, there have been a series of other problems too, all of which have left me feeling very stressed and anxious. During this time, my grandad’s health deteriorated and he was admitted to hospital on a number of occasions. Last Sunday morning, he passed away and this has hit me really hard. I promised him that I would look after my nan. My grandad and I have always been against her going into a nursing home until we can no longer safely look after her.

I fully intend to continue caring for my nan for as long as possible. The Panorama programme on Monday night has reinforced my feelings about this and I am absolutely sure that I am doing the right thing.

I’m not opposed to getting help to look after my nan or against her going to a day centre or having respite. But, I want to ensure that she is happy and it’s what she wants to do too. It’s really too soon to make any decisions or firm plans about the future, I need to concentrate on sorting out my grandad’s affairs and funeral, which I’m finding really hard at the moment.

From what Ev has said, it looks as though my reaction has been extreme and maybe it has, but there have been many problems over the past few months and I don’t know how much more I can cope with.

I have contacted Social Services and I made a referral to the Occupational Therapist too. My nursing background has been an advantage in terms of knowledge. We have had the OT visit and assess, she has prescribed some equipment, however, my nan can be very stubborn and will often go against any decision made, if she feels that someone is interfering or telling her what to do. She has always been like this, which the family have always affectionately called “feisty” but the Alzheimer’s or maybe her age seem to have exacerbated this and it means that we need to be very careful how we approach and introduce things to her.

Social Services have been extremely slow to respond. And when they did, some 3 months after I had made the referral, my nan told them that she didn’t want them interfering and they immediately closed the case without contacting me to let me know. I am now trying to get their help again, but it’s proving very difficult.

I am in no doubt about how committed Ev is to me and how much he will support me. But, I am trying to think of the whole situation. Ev is in his 3rd and last year of uni. He needs to concentrate and work hard on his essays, dissertation and revise for his forthcoming exams. I am really worried that my situation will distract him and affect his work.

I know that he has been feeling really stressed about it and has been having huge problems sleeping. I feel responsible for this and very guilty about it too. I would never want to affect his chances in life and I feel that my ever-changing and stressful life will without doubt cause him stress too.

At present, I am trying to cope with all of the changes and think about how I am going to manage, mentally, physically and financially. Ev has been amazingly supportive and I am so grateful to him for that. But the harsh reality is that I have to make these decisions and plans and deal with the consequences. Unfortunately, my family have lots of opinions on the matter, and promise to help, but this help never materialises. This means that until my nan will accept help, support and services from Social Services, I will remain her carer.

Despite all of the reassurances, I am sure that this will affect our relationship and to be really honest, right now I can’t even think about starting a relationship because it’s all too much for me. The problem is that we both get very upset when I say that, which in turn makes me feel incredibly guilty. There have been times when he has told that he’s unable to cope with how he’s feeling and the thought of not being with me makes him feel suicidal and I am scared that if I end it, he will do something stupid, and I can’t begin to tell you how that makes me feel.

Thank you to all of you for your advice and support. Particularly Grannie G; I am trying to adjust to everything and I do need time and space to do that. And to be fair, Ev is giving me time and space.

Jenniferpa hit the nail on the head really. Quote: “I suppose it's all about respect - you have to respect a person's decision, even if you think it's the wrong one (unless, of course, it's actually dangerous to them or others). Now that decision may have ramifications for others, or may be upsetting for them, but that's the nature of any relationship decision. Now you may feel that such withdrawal is both counterproductive and unhealthy and you may be correct, but one thing I'm reasonably certain of: when one person in a relationship withdraws, pushing by the other person is equally counterproductive. All the other person in that situation can reasonably do is try to wait it out. Be supportive yes, be open, but most importantly, be patient. This is just my own personal opinion, of course, but if I'm pushed to do something or make a decision, particularly when I'm not ready, it's just as likely that I will either avoid that decision by removing the person doing the pressing from the equation or the answer will be "no".

I completely agree with this and I am very similar (and similar to my nan too) if I am pushed, I will dig my heels in or say no to avoid the situation. But this is usually only when I feel unable to cope. There have been times when it has been extremely frustrating for Ev, times when I have cancelled meeting him because of unexpected situations and on the whole he has been patient and I don’t want to criticise him. But, there have been times when I have felt quite a lot of pressure to be everything to everyone and it’s impossible.

I’m so this is so long!

Natasha.

Squelchy

Dec 5, 2007
I think we understand each other now though sweetheart. You really are on the edge and you need no more worries and it worries you when I talk about things even in a speculative sense. I won't. I've stuck a post it note up on my screen to tell me not to stress her out.

She needs to sort out absolutely everything else before thinking about me, and I need to get my uni affairs in order so that at some point down the line we can see how things stand.

But I don't want either of us worry about that point right now, I just want her to focus on doing everything she needs to do right now and for us to keep talking in a casual way so we can see how thinks can work out in the future when she's more emotionally settled and has dealt with all the post mortem stuff.

I'm fine with all of this and would really just like to keeep casual contact up until next year at some point.

So basically, there's no going to be any pressure from my part from now on, I purely want to keep contact up and learn Alzeimers as much as I can.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Natasha and welcome to Talking Point.

Actually, I don't find your reactions extreme in the least (you may have sensed that already). You have way too much on your plate dealing with things you have to deal with that can't be put off to cope with anything else.

Guilt - it's a biggie and something we all struggle with, and it's dfiicult to deal with the guilt that comes from "Am I doing my best for the person I'm caring for?" or should that be "I must do better" . However, and this is going to sound hard, your priority is your own mental state and the care of your grandmother, and you have to harbour your resources. If that means you have to stay focused on that at the momnet, so be it.

I'll also say this though, because it's a subject that comes up time and time again on the board - don't ever say ever. Yes, you made a promise to take care of your grandmother, but there may be a time when you can no longer provided that care 24/7. If and when the time comes (and it may not) and you need to consider a care alternative, that is not breaking your promise in any real sense - you will still care, just in less hands on way.

Best wishes

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Natasha, thank you for your post, and don't apologise for it being long. You've really helped to clarify the situation.

I understand how muich pressure you've been under, and yur need to sort things out yourself first. I'd be exactly the same.

Ev, I'm sorry if this is going to upset you, but you really do need to back off and concentrate on your studies for the rest of the year. It won't help anyone if you fail your finals.

Can I suggest that you talk to your student counsellor? If you don't want to do that, you could try Relate, although they usually have a long waiting list, or ring Samaritans. You really need someone to talk to, to help you sort out your feelings. I know you love Natasha, but it really isn't on to put her under emotional pressure.

Natasha, one more thought; have you asked SS for a carers assessment? That would get you access to some support without having to have your nan's agreement.

Good luck to you both. You obviously care for each other deeply. Just give it some time.

Love,

Squelchy

Dec 5, 2007
Natasha, thank you for your post, and don't apologise for it being long. You've really helped to clarify the situation.

I understand how muich pressure you've been under, and yur need to sort things out yourself first. I'd be exactly the same.

Ev, I'm sorry if this is going to upset you, but you really do need to back off and concentrate on your studies for the rest of the year. It won't help anyone if you fail your finals.

Can I suggest that you talk to your student counsellor? If you don't want to do that, you could try Relate, although they usually have a long waiting list, or ring Samaritans. You really need someone to talk to, to help you sort out your feelings. I know you love Natasha, but it really isn't on to put her under emotional pressure.

Natasha, one more thought; have you asked SS for a carers assessment? That would get you access to some support without having to have your nan's agreement.

Good luck to you both. You obviously care for each other deeply. Just give it some time.

Love,

Skye, this all sounds fine to me. I am happy to back off and only talk about puppies and wine gums and all sort with her for as long as it takes her to feel OK.

She's also right. I do need to concentrate on my studies, and I appreciate that.

I think maybe everybody is midunderstanding my intentions. I'm going to italicise it so everybody notices.

I have no plans to see her in the immediate future. I feely intend to get on with my uni work and give her the practical and emotional space she needs to get her practical and emotional fairs in order.

That's fine. I could even live with the talking once a month thing, but what drives me to suicidaal thoughts is the idea we may never be together, when I think what we need to do is both get through this tough time right now and then see where things stand in the summer when I'm graduated and she's got the various finance and estatee related malarky sorted out as well as having lost some emotional stress.

Is that a fair comment?

Last edited:

117katie

Dear Natash And Ev

Dear Both!

Like you, I am a relative newcomer to all of this. Well, a 2-year old newcomer. And I guess that being a 2-year old Brat (ME!) is no difference to being a brand new Brat (You Two!!). Sorry, if that sound facetious, it is not meant to be so. But we are both, no we are all dealing with out More Mature and More Experienced-of-this-World Relatives.

Like yours, mine is very very strong-willed. In my case - My Aunt, my Mum's sister. In your case - your Nan. But that is what made me ME. My Mum and My Nan and in turn my Aunt are all what made ME ME!!!

Like everybody else who has posted replies to your messages, we as unconnected-to-you Individuals cannot possibly know the answer that will work for you both.

All I personally can say is that if - when I was a final year Student at Uni (which I was so many many years ago!!!) - I had THEN a RELATIONSHIP like you two HAVE NOW, then I would have given everything I had then, including burning the PROVERBIAL MIDNIGHT OIL, to pass each and every one of my exams, which I did (thank goodness!!!), and to give every other breath I had available to support my partner.

Not one single one of us knows for certain what tomorrow holds, for each and every one of us, let alone those we are now caring about, and struggling to support, and fighting for. We can only live for today, and in the meantime, live for our futures and the futures of those we care about.

But sharing our energies and our wishes and our heartfelt caring-moments amongst each of those we truly care about is all we can be expected to do.

Dear Natasha, please please make space for Ev.
Dear Ev, please give space for Natasha.
Dear Both of you: PLEASE MAKE SPACE FOR EACH OTHER. ALLOW YOURSELVES TIME TO COME TOGETHER AND SHARE YOUR LIFE - note, one life shared together.

Good luck, and bless you both, no matter what your own personal decisions may be. I truly wish you success. You sound like really nice Gal and Guy, and you sound as though you have what it takes to help each other through this.

Katie with much love!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
That's fine. I could even live with the talking once a month thing, but what drives me to suicidaal thoughts is the idea we may never be together, when I think what we need to do is both get through this tough time right now and then see where things stand in the summer when I'm graduated and she's got the various finance and estatee related malarky sorted out as well as having lost some emotional stress.

Is that a fair comment?

Fair comment -- in part! Talking about suicide is not helping Natasha, it's just giving her something else to worry about. If you feel like that talk to others about it, I've suggested three sources of help for you. But emotional blackmail is not a good foundation for any relationship.

Please talk to Natasha, say you'll stick to your agreement, and not discuss your relationship for another six months. Surely you can wait that long?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but honestly, emotional blackmail is the best way to drive her away. She can't take any more.

Fair comment?

Squelchy

Dec 5, 2007
Thanks Katie, that was really nice and how I feel abut things.

Right now I have been giving her space, or trying to. I mean, if she wants to talk to me less then she could let me know she was blocking me from MSN or something and I wouldn't mind.

The main thing I've realised is that when I think of things which to my mind make me think "Great! Tash will love this and things will work out great!" what she's thinking is "This is just one more thing I don't want to worry about.

So I've kind of guessed now that the best thing for me to do would be to be there to talk about puppes, DVDs, that sort of thing.

Squelchy

Dec 5, 2007
Fair comment -- in part! Talking about suicide is not helping Natasha, it's just giving her something else to worry about. If you feel like that talk to others about it, I've suggested three sources of help for you. But emotional blackmail is not a good foundation for any relationship.

Please talk to Natasha, say you'll stick to your agreement, and not discuss your relationship for another six months. Surely you can wait that long?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but honestly, emotional blackmail is the best way to drive her away. She can't take any more.

Fair comment?

I wasn't emotionally blackmailing her. She pushed me and pushed me to tell her because I didn't want to because I knew it wasn't fair.

I would happily set any sort of a limit she wanted on how long beefore we talk about things moving on between us, and I think 5 or 6 months would be a good one, to be perfectly frank. I just want to know she's practically and emotionally recovering and that we're in each other's lives.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sounds positive, Ev. How about it, Tash?

Please, please both of you agree to it, and stick to it.

Love to both,

Squelchy

Dec 5, 2007
I think Tash has made her point about how she feels and I think I have made mine about being totally willing to give her space for as long as she wants and keep our chats light hearted and not related to anything to do with us.

As you said, 6 months is nothing and I would happily set that as a time limit before talking about anything else.

But I fear this very thread is going to be stressing her out needlessly.

Squelchy

Dec 5, 2007
Sounds positive, Ev. How about it, Tash?

Please, please both of you agree to it, and stick to it.

Love to both,

I would happily agree not to mention anything to do with our relationship or what could happen in the future between us and the situation with her nan unless she talks to me about it first.

In fact I will say right now I won't do that. We can talk about absoolutely anything else.