What advice do you have about coping with colder weather?

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

Our brilliant Alzheimer's Society magazine, Dementia together, includes real-life experiences with every issue, and they'd like to hear from you.

As we're entering the middle of December and winter is well and truly here, we're experiencing much colder weather in the UK (and elsewhere in the world!)

What advice do you have for people with dementia and carers about coping with colder weather?

Please add your comments below, and they may be featured in the next issue of the magazine.

Thanks all :)

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I don't know about advice beyond the obvious about blankets and heaters. for what it is worth, C feels the cold more than most people because she is not moving around much and she is on blood thinners. When she cannot understand why she is cold and I'm not I just explain it was because she is on blood thinners due to her stroke. Actually, that stroke is a great cover story for everything she can't understand. The housing association who runs our extra care flat complex gave her a warm blanket for a Christmas present last year and she just loves it.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I’d say dementia proof the central heating if your PWD lives alone. My dad was always turning his thermostat right down and then complaining his heating wasn’t working.
On one memorable occasion my daughter and I got to his bungalow to find dad trying to dismantle his gas boiler ?. After that we had a tamperproof thermostat fitted and, as he was nice and warm, he didn’t feel the need to “mend” the central heating all the time.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Also think about going outside especially if icy, hospital visits for a check or worse are bad enough without covid -19

Also bear in mind that the virus SARS-CoV-2 thrives at lower temperatures.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
If you don't move much you can feel cold even with blankets and the heating on so it's worth having a walk round regularly to get the old circulation going.

I swear by hot water bottles - with a furry cover for safety. I sometimes sit with my feet on one whilst working on my computer - very cosy. (In summer I do the opposite and have a really cold one!) And the cats have one in their bed of course...

IMG_7564.JPG

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
That's adorable @Jaded'n'faded - the cats look very cosy! Thanks for your helpful suggestion to move around if you can, and hot water bottles are definitely a good idea.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
My advice is ‘ just pay’ !
Its Bali in the bathroom here!
I work continually and consistently to remove triggers for challenging behaviour, rule number one is never criticise !
So wherever waste happens, heating on 30, food thrown away before sell by, luxury quiche left on work surface for four hours ( lucky birds) I smile and shrug!!!!
I work out care home bill = 1200 pounds, bill for waste 200 pounds ( however hot ) = 1000 profit? for staying at home!
For people that are smart and claim attendance allowance ( yes you all qualify , if of pensionable age, it isn’t means tested)! Then being warm can be payed for by others!
If the dementia qualifies , a reduction in community charge gives extra cash for heat!
My top tip is to look at the boiler ! does it have any lights indicating power? if so get out the gaffer tape and cover that light. Power lights on any products can be like a red rag to a bull with people with dementia. You never know when the desire to ‘rectify ‘ the problem will occur.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
As a carer, for me rule number 1 is to take particular care of my own mental and physical health to help ensure I am capable, for as long as possible, to be her carer. For me this means either a daily walk of about an hour and if possible a round of golf once per week but dreading the day that further care is needed to support me in supporting Pauline as this may not allow the flexibility needed for me to look after myself.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
to know what benefits you can claim and the winter fuel allowance from the gvt and see if your supplier does money back warm home discount which is also a gvt scheme that some suppliers do and others dont. works £140 back in your electric meter so we put it all on the gas instead of splitting it. our house is very cold as it is made of precast concrete and we pay more as we pay in key and card meters. we keep all the doors shut so keeps heat in.