What about the Carers ??

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
What about The Carers ???

As I was getting dressed this morning my darling Angel Elaine wrapped her arms around me from the back and said "Not one of your better nights, or weeks actually" I knew then it has been a bad week, but what I didn't know, or remember, was how bad the previous night had been. I feel I should have done but I didn't see the usual dark shadows under her beautiful eyes and felt so sad I had missed this. Sometimes this is the worst part of it, most of the time I CANT remember what happened the night before, in fact, I remember very little and what I do, I share with you all.

Sometimes Elaine shares with me and I share with you but most of the time she doesn't, for fear of upsetting me. This is where the guilt comes in, I can see the tiredness in her eyes, I can hear how she yawns during the day and I can hear the weariness in her voice and yet ?? And yet she doesn't share all for fear of upsetting me ?? So many times I have wept in private after watching her in the evening and during her daily struggle with exhaustion but never once has she complained, not once.

I am writing this in the hope that those people who are not touched by dementia or have never become a carer, out of necessity, or choice, understand just a little better what carer`s go through. Yes, it's us with dementia who have the illness, But the carers? Please just stop and think about them for a while, please ????

Norrms, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Well, Norrms, your wife is a lucky lady to be so loved. I am a carer (for the second time around) and I'm getting woken at nights...and my days are being taken over, and do you know what? It is SO much easier when someone is saying, 'I love you, thank you for what you are doing'. My lovely husband thanks me and cuddles me, and I am so grateful that he has not lost the loving side of his personality.
You are doing the best you can, by loving and thanking her. And we carers are tougher than we look!