What a Rollercoaster

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yesterday I posted about my husband`s test results and his belief he is being helped by Vitamin B supplements.

Today, he has asked me to get him some tablets to help him to die.

I just asked him to take something back into the kitchen. He didn`t know where to put it. Anywhere would have been fine.

At lunchtime, he offered to make lunch. What would we have? Baked beans on toast.
He called me when it was ready. He had made the toast, but had forgotten the baked beans.
I said nothing, other than thank him for the lunch, but as we were eating he suddenly realized something was missing.
He was so upset. This is a man who once did 75% of the family cooking.

He then asked if we could see the GP for tablets to make him better. I told him the tablets were harmful for him and had bad side effects.
This is when he asked me to help him get something to make him die.

We then had a heartbreaking discussion and I was in tears and shaking.

I went to make a drink to try to calm myself, and when I took it into him, I could tell by his face he was fine.

He had completely forgotten the previous half hour.

Tina

May 19, 2006
Grannie G said:
Yesterday I posted about my husband`s test results and his belief he is being helped by Vitamin B supplements.

Today, he has asked me to get him some tablets to help him to die.
We then had a heartbreaking discussion and I was in tears and shaking.

I went to make a drink to try to calm myself, and when I took it into him, I could tell by his face he was fine.

He had completely forgotten the previous half hour.

Hi Sylvia,
don't have any words of comfort really, just wanted to send a hello and a hug. What a rollercoaster indeed....talk about mixed blessings...good that he had forgotten about it half an hour later, but how heartbreaking it must have been to have a discussion about taking tablets to die...
The bit about the cooking reminded me of my aunt...she loved cooking, gradually lost all ability to do so...heartbreaking again when it catches you at a particularly weak and vulnerable moment.
Take care,
Tina

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sylvia, love

What an awful situation for you. You thought a few weeks back that your husband was suicidal, and he got over it. Now it's happened again, and again he's over it.

He must realise in his clearer moments how this disease will develop, and he's bound to be terrified. I think we all would if we knew that was in store for us.

At least you know now that he's not putting it on. All you can do is give him all the love and support you can.

Does it help if he sees how upset you are? Last week John bucked up tremendously because he knew I was ill. Perhaps your husband was the same -- not forgotten his fears, but put them aside for your sake?

I don't know, love, I haven't any real answers. Just lots of love and support, whenever you want it.

Love,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Oh Sylvia, have been in your position in the past. Thank goodness for their short term memory, but I know how upset and shaken you must have been feeling.

I wish we could forget as easily.................no, not really, I still would not like to live in their world.

Sending a big hug, love

Attachments

• hugs.gif
    hugs.gif
    27.4 KB · Views: 261

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Sylvia
It certainly is a rollercoaster isn't it?
I had to call the ambulance for mum way back in October due to a diabetic hypo and in the ambulance on the way to hospital she asked me why she was there.....i explained i couldn't wake her up and was worried about her......very lucidly she said "oh love.....why didn't you just leave me ???"
It broke my heart......I think when our loved ones have strong lucid moments it hits home how much they are losing.......like your husband ,mum had soon forgotten what she'd said.....but oh how it hurt....
love wendy xx