What a ride....

Ameliasmama

Oct 24, 2015
I apologise in advance, I never know where to post I came here a while ago as I had my suspicions but now, months and months down the line from when I first found TP, I KNOW my Dad has some form of dementia though it's never officially been diagnosed.

I posted another thread last week, if somebody could please copy the link I'd be greatful?

Amazingly, in fact nothing short of what I'd call a miracle, he's made it. In a way I never imagined possible. The chest drain came out after they slowly decreased the extra oxygen over a day or two til he no longer needs any form of help breathing, his blood pressure and heart rate have settled. The catheter came out yesterday, though he's essentially wearing a nappy. The last cannula came out today as he had the last antibiotics Tuesday and no extra fluid since yesterday.

Mobility wise he's having daily physio to assist him in getting out of bed, which he can now manage with a Zimmer frame, though he needs help to get in and out of a chair. This should improve more with physio and there's been talk of him being transferred to a rehab centre.

Basically nobody knows if the condition he's in now cognitively is due to the head injury, delirium or dementia. It's hard to get them to understand that yes, he's massively improved but he was unresponsive after a car accident, and at the same time he most certainly shouldn't have been driving as there were already problems, just not on this scale. He can't remember anything short term, has no clue where he is so is constantly asking to go home, while he speaks to us and knows who we are the logic has gone. It's hard to describe it really is. I know without a doubt if it weren't for physios getting him out of bed he wouldn't, he eats only because it's put in front of him. I dont know, I've seen him with delirium not long ago and whilst I agree yes he's developed it again, the calmer he's become he's hallucinating less. It's what worries me about moving him anywhere.

I basically don't know what I need to be doing, there's less 'medical' staff involved in his care daily, he's visited by physio and occupational therapy. I met them today and I was just asked basic questions as to what he was like prior to the accident. I don't know what to say or who to ask anymore, except I'm worried too much movement is just going to confuse my poor dad even more. We've gone from hospital appointments for suspected bowel cancer, to emergency life saving treatment after a car accident to where we are in less than 2 weeks

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I basically don't know what I need to be doing

While you'll obviously want to monitor your Dad's care in hospital to ensure he's well looked after, it seems the hospital are doing a grand job in sorting out his various health problems to the extent they can be sorted out. Your Dad's made a lot of progress health-wise in a short space of time ...

I think you and other family members need to give some attention at least to self-caring - you've had a lot of trauma to cope with and it'll take time to come to terms with it.

My Dad became seriously ill unexpectedly 20 years ago, he made a perfect recovery and we all heaved a huge sigh of relief and expected to return immediately to our normal lives. It staggered me that it actually took 12 months before I felt "safe" again.

I think the emotional challenge and upheaval you're now going through as a family may take more time to deal with than you currently imagine. Please do your best to look after yourselves, as well as your Dad.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I posted another thread last week, if somebody could please copy the link I'd be greatful?"

If you click >>>HERE<<<< you should get a list of all the threads you have started.

For your recent posts you can click >>>HERE<<<

Last edited:

Ameliasmama

Oct 24, 2015
Thanks Nitram, I know how to find them it's just as my post count isn't very high I'm not allowed to post links yet :)

I totally understand where your coming from alsoconfused, I took a 'day off' yesterday just to spend some quality time with my baby girl. But now today I'm regretting it as when I saw Dad this afternoon he seems to have gone downhill again. He was confusing us with each other, calling me my sisters name and he just seems so withdrawn and down. He's eating very small amounts now, only if he's reminded too and he's not been out of bed today neither. It's just so bloody hard

Ameliasmama

Oct 24, 2015
And now we have a low urine output too. As he's not on any form of end of life care they've now started him in IV fluids, problem is his chest/lungs have deteriorated again, a chest X-ray has shown a small pool of fluid at the bottom of his left lung, so the catch is keeping him hydrated without putting too much in.

I feel awful for thinking it, but how much more suffering can one person take? He'd hate to be like this, his mum had vd and he always said if he ended up like her he wanted someone to end it for him if he couldn't :( yet everyday I'm having to look at the broken old soul what's been left where my Dad was