What a prognosis

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Today has been a funny old day, just when i thought i was coming to terms with things, bang!

Once again, here i am, trying to pick myself up off the floor.

I have dreaded the meeting today with the consultant. He said that after numerous assessments they can now confirm that he has Global Dysphasia (Difficulty in understanding language and inability to communicate) They are not sure if this has been brought on by lack of oxygen to the brain (while in intensive care) or the strokes he had shortly after. They are planning on giving botox injections to help ease the spasticity in his arms, hands and neck, but this could affect his swallowing which means he would have to go back on a feeding tube. Not to mention Vascular Dementia, heart problems or the diabetes. He said it was unlikely that he would get much better and that he will be unable to do anything for himself

I wondered why i dreaded getting out of bed this morning!

Bottom line is that he would need continuous care, as a consultant would need to see him every day, because of this he can't come home!

He finished by saying "If there is anything else you want to know, don't hesitate to ask"

What next?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I think i will stay in bed tomorrow!
Alex

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Alex,
What a day for you, but at least you are keeping a sense of humour, well done! The positive in this; being told that your husband needs continuous care you are not left thinking can I or can't I manage at home, and NHS should fund it. This is probably no help at the moment. It's not raining yet, come on get out of bed!
Love Amy

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Poor Alex, not so much a bombshell as a cluster-bomb!! As you say, what else could there be? (Don't go there - tempting fate)

And "It's been a funny old day" - what a perfect example of understatement!

Bets wishes

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Poor guy is a train wreck and you've been along for the ride ! I'm so sorry he got such a bad diagnosis but perhaps now you can plan and know what is coming next.
Good luck with everything and let us know how your doing.
Debbie

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Your right Debbie, i do know whats coming next (Knowing my luck it will be another express train and i'm not off the rail track yet!)

Kind regards
Alex

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Amy said:
Still in bed Alex.?Thunderstorms have been and gone here.
Amy

I know, it came my way and believe it or not it was hailstones (I was caught with a T-Shirt and no umberella) Went straight back to bed!
(Otherwise known as wet-in the bed)

Alex