WHAT A * * * * OF A WEEK ....

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hello to you all! I need to post this otherwise I will crack up so to speak. Mum had her 2nd op a week last Tues. She has been doing ok etc. But is bed bound has lost over 13kg in 6 weeks. She was discharged yesterday back to the NH as the hospital deemed her 'medically fit'! My nerves have been in overdrive with anticipation of her being discharged back to the NH where she has had 2 hip fractures in less than a few weeks. But I have been told it was nothing that the NH did 'her hip just happened'!! Today I received a phone call from the NH to say Mum is on her way back to hospital as her oxygen levels were very low & she had a high temperature. (I dread it when I see their number appear). Also she is still in pain with her hip when they move her. Which I was told by the hospital that this 2nd op which mum had was a 'pain relieving' procedure. I ask why is her hip still causing her problems? I had a gut feeling that something was going to happen at the NH! It seems to be a regular occurrence. I can say each weekend in June something has happened.

The hospital have informed me that mum has an infection so she will be stopping in ..... I know one thing that I am sure of " I am sick of being on this rollercoaster ride"!

SweetPepper

Feb 3, 2022
It’s so exhausting when things go wrong. I’ve been in the situation when I’m desperate for the hospital not to send mum home because I have a crazy work day ahead and I just don’t know how I will cope with sleeping on her landing floor again in case she needs me in the night.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
I'm so sorry, @Roman223 You and your poor Mum are really going through it, aren't you? Your nerves must be in shreds by now. I really don't know what to say - it's awful to know your Mum is suffering and you can't do anything to help her. It's so sad ? I hope she feels better soon and you, too. xx

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
I'm so sorry, @Roman223 You and your poor Mum are really going through it, aren't you? Your nerves must be in shreds by now. I really don't know what to say - it's awful to know your Mum is suffering and you can't do anything to help her. It's so sad ? I hope she feels better soon and you, too. xx
Thank you DreamsAreReal: I think my heart is pounding faster all the time and every day. No it's not fair on mum - she has been through so much. I hate all this and the frustrating part is " I can't do a damn thing about it"!! x

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
It’s so exhausting when things go wrong. I’ve been in the situation when I’m desperate for the hospital not to send mum home because I have a crazy work day ahead and I just don’t know how I will cope with sleeping on her landing floor again in case she needs me in the night.
Hello SweetPepper: Welcome & thank you. It is an awful situation to be in - and you feel totally helpless! But you do these things because you love your mum.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Roman223 , I wonder if you do need to look for another nursing home for when your mum is ready to leave hospital. It seems the one she is in aren't really coping with her needs. I also wonder if her hip is better than it was, but she remembers the previous pain so tenses up every time anyone tries to move her. So sorry she's got another infection on top of everything else.
Do try to make sure you get some sleep, and try not to think about your mum too much. That might sound counter-intuitive and hard-hearted, but worrying all the time about your mum won't make her better, but could make you ill instead.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hi @Roman223 , I wonder if you do need to look for another nursing home for when your mum is ready to leave hospital. It seems the one she is in aren't really coping with her needs. I also wonder if her hip is better than it was, but she remembers the previous pain so tenses up every time anyone tries to move her. So sorry she's got another infection on top of everything else.
Do try to make sure you get some sleep, and try not to think about your mum too much. That might sound counter-intuitive and hard-hearted, but worrying all the time about your mum won't make her better, but could make you ill instead.
Sarasa: Thank you. I did that, but it's a somewhere to assess. Each time I say that I want to move her the hospital say it will be the other side of the city! I don't know what to do anymore! I think you're right in some way that maybe the nursing home aren't able to meet her needs but I keep getting relayed different information. Help!?