What a night... Dementia 1 carer 0

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Well I got defeated last night by this awful disease come dawn I was thoroughly worn down.. Dad did not sleep a wink last night he spent all night wandering from his bedroom to the bathroom and was frequently going to open his bowels which he then smeared all over the bathroom each time that he went... Three or four changes of towels over night, pajamas. Bath mats.. Probably used a full bottle of bleach plus disinfectant dad only manages a couple of hours a night but last night we didn't even get that.. Got 6 more weeks to go before respite.. Moan over now going to have a cuppa.. Exhausted 2015 xx merry Christmas all xx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
My gosh exhausted 2015 ! :(
Surely a cuppa AND a choccie bickie at least
I'm sitting here feeling sorry for myself as I have a sore throat and cough so didn't sleep well - nothing at all compared to your night
I so hope you all get some rest tonight :)

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
No wonder you go by the name of 'Exhausted' !! I really feel for you. Can't the doctor give you anything to help your poor dad sleep and let you get some rest?

Stuff the cuppa I'd be heading for the Brandy by now.!!

Ozzy71

Nov 23, 2015
Really sorry- that's tough. Hope you (and your dad) get some rest tonight. X

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I think you need to demand appropriate medication. You cannot continue without sleep and where will your Dad be then? Send a letter to the GP ahead of a visit so you can lay it out in detail.

Last edited:

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
My gosh exhausted 2015 ! :(
Surely a cuppa AND a choccie bickie at least
I'm sitting here feeling sorry for myself as I have a sore throat and cough so didn't sleep well - nothing at all compared to your night
I so hope you all get some rest tonight :)

Hi Shedrech, hope you are feeling better soon xx

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
No wonder you go by the name of 'Exhausted' !! I really feel for you. Can't the doctor give you anything to help your poor dad sleep and let you get some rest?

Stuff the cuppa I'd be heading for the Brandy by now.!!

Would love a glass of wine now but it's too early I would fall asleep before I could get dad to bed.. Nice thought tho thank you xx

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
I think you need to demand appropriate medication. You cannot continue without sleep and where will your Dad be then? Send alerted to the GP ahead of a visit so you can lay it out in detail.

Hi marionq. unfortunately we aren't having much luck with sleeping meds at the moment.. Zimovane didn't work he's now been on metatonin for a month with no improvement yet.. But thanks anyway xx

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
Bless you exhausted....I totally feel your pain. Am having similar issues with mum. A mask with a few drops of olbas oil works a treat to mask the smell while you're cleaning up

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
Hi exhausted, can totally relate to how you are feeling. I've gone through same with mum this week, twice already.
She has melatonin which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't - not helpful. Can only put her latest episode down to UTI.
It's so tough trying to function and care for someone when had no sleep, thinking of you and hope you have a better night tonight, x

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hi exhausted, can totally relate to how you are feeling. I've gone through same with mum this week, twice already.
She has melatonin which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't - not helpful. Can only put her latest episode down to UTI.
It's so tough trying to function and care for someone when had no sleep, thinking of you and hope you have a better night tonight, x

Thank you jojo and kazza for your support on my knees tonight I'm that tired and got another long night ahead xx

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Exhausted, I don't know what to say. I simply can't imagine how you manage to go on.

Sending heartfelt wishes that your dad sleeps tonight so that you can get some rest x

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
i'm sending the sleep fairies for your Dad tonight - you don't need them so they can concentrate completely on him xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Well I got defeated last night by this awful disease come dawn I was thoroughly worn down.. Dad did not sleep a wink last night he spent all night wandering from his bedroom to the bathroom and was frequently going to open his bowels which he then smeared all over the bathroom each time that he went... Three or four changes of towels over night, pajamas. Bath mats.. Probably used a full bottle of bleach plus disinfectant dad only manages a couple of hours a night but last night we didn't even get that.. Got 6 more weeks to go before respite.. Moan over now going to have a cuppa.. Exhausted 2015 xx merry Christmas all xx

Nae wonder you are exhausted. OH has her rough nights with occasional incontinence, which can be pretty tiring, but you have my sympathy for much more serious troubles. She leaves a bit of a mess in the toilet when constipation breaks, but while Dettol laundry liquid saves on bleach for washing urine stained trousers I am sorry I can't offer much help for bowels.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Nae wonder you are exhausted. OH has her rough nights with occasional incontinence, which can be pretty tiring, but you have my sympathy for much more serious troubles. She leaves a bit of a mess in the toilet when constipation breaks, but while Dettol laundry liquid saves on bleach for washing urine stained trousers I am sorry I can't offer much help for bowels.

Thanks all again for your support, I really don't know what I would do without this site as I'm not able to get out much at all xx and YES PLEASE SEND ME LOTS OF SLEEP FAIRIES FOR TONIGHT xx

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Aww exhausted 2015 , I so wish your dad has a restful sleep so you can sleep too. I know only too well what it's like . Fingers crossed . Best wishes . Lou

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Oh my goodness you poor thing. I hope you're both sleeping soundly...
Zolpidem worked for my dad although I doubt he needed it, the first care home had it prescribed.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I hope that you managed to get a better night's sleep last night. Sleep deprivation is so, so hard to deal with.

I agree with the others; I really think the GP needs to prescribe something to help.

Love

Lyn T