1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

What a night... Dementia 1 carer 0

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by exhausted 2015, Dec 19, 2015.

1. exhausted 2015

exhausted 2015 Registered User

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Well I got defeated last night by this awful disease come dawn I was thoroughly worn down.. Dad did not sleep a wink last night he spent all night wandering from his bedroom to the bathroom and was frequently going to open his bowels which he then smeared all over the bathroom each time that he went... Three or four changes of towels over night, pajamas. Bath mats.. Probably used a full bottle of bleach plus disinfectant dad only manages a couple of hours a night but last night we didn't even get that.. Got 6 more weeks to go before respite.. Moan over now going to have a cuppa.. Exhausted 2015 xx merry Christmas all xx

2. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    My gosh exhausted 2015 ! :(
    Surely a cuppa AND a choccie bickie at least
    I'm sitting here feeling sorry for myself as I have a sore throat and cough so didn't sleep well - nothing at all compared to your night
    I so hope you all get some rest tonight :)

3. Stresshead

Stresshead Registered User

Sep 13, 2014
    No wonder you go by the name of 'Exhausted' !! I really feel for you. Can't the doctor give you anything to help your poor dad sleep and let you get some rest?

Stuff the cuppa I'd be heading for the Brandy by now.!!

4. Ozzy71

Ozzy71 Registered User

Nov 23, 2015
    Really sorry- that's tough. Hope you (and your dad) get some rest tonight. X

5. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    #5 marionq, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    I think you need to demand appropriate medication. You cannot continue without sleep and where will your Dad be then? Send a letter to the GP ahead of a visit so you can lay it out in detail.

6. exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Hi Shedrech, hope you are feeling better soon xx

7. exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Would love a glass of wine now but it's too early I would fall asleep before I could get dad to bed.. Nice thought tho thank you xx

8. exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Hi marionq. unfortunately we aren't having much luck with sleeping meds at the moment.. Zimovane didn't work he's now been on metatonin for a month with no improvement yet.. But thanks anyway xx

9. Kazza-72

Kazza-72 Registered User

Dec 15, 2015
    Chiswick, London
    Bless you exhausted....I totally feel your pain. Am having similar issues with mum. A mask with a few drops of olbas oil works a treat to mask the smell while you're cleaning up

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

10. jojop

jojop Registered User

Nov 9, 2013
    SE London
    Hi exhausted, can totally relate to how you are feeling. I've gone through same with mum this week, twice already.
    She has melatonin which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't - not helpful. Can only put her latest episode down to UTI.
    It's so tough trying to function and care for someone when had no sleep, thinking of you and hope you have a better night tonight, x

11. exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Thank you jojo and kazza for your support on my knees tonight I'm that tired and got another long night ahead xx

12. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    Exhausted, I don't know what to say. I simply can't imagine how you manage to go on.

Sending heartfelt wishes that your dad sleeps tonight so that you can get some rest x

13. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    i'm sending the sleep fairies for your Dad tonight - you don't need them so they can concentrate completely on him xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

14. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Nae wonder you are exhausted. OH has her rough nights with occasional incontinence, which can be pretty tiring, but you have my sympathy for much more serious troubles. She leaves a bit of a mess in the toilet when constipation breaks, but while Dettol laundry liquid saves on bleach for washing urine stained trousers I am sorry I can't offer much help for bowels.

15. exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Thanks all again for your support, I really don't know what I would do without this site as I'm not able to get out much at all xx and YES PLEASE SEND ME LOTS OF SLEEP FAIRIES FOR TONIGHT xx

16. smartieplum

smartieplum Registered User

Jul 29, 2014
    Ask GP for quetiapine for dad

17. exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Thank you... Do they work xx

18. Louby65

Louby65 Registered User

Mar 26, 2014
    Scotland
    Aww exhausted 2015 , I so wish your dad has a restful sleep so you can sleep too. I know only too well what it's like . Fingers crossed . Best wishes . Lou

19. Dimelza

Dimelza Registered User

May 28, 2013
    Oh my goodness you poor thing. I hope you're both sleeping soundly...
    Zolpidem worked for my dad although I doubt he needed it, the first care home had it prescribed.

20. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    I hope that you managed to get a better night's sleep last night. Sleep deprivation is so, so hard to deal with.

I agree with the others; I really think the GP needs to prescribe something to help.

Love

Lyn T