what a difference a week makes

SitsThere

Jan 7, 2013
So... not even a week, it's four days and we've gone from mum being very poorly with baffling symptoms to mum refusing food, liquid and medication and not even accepting a straw in her mouth; shouting and fighting the carers, stripping herself naked and constantly screaming and moaning with pain.
This, my friends, has come very suddenly and is very hard to witness.

The doctor has stopped all medications except Fentanyl patches (on the back so she can't pull them off) and liquid lorazepam "for the agitation".

Do people recover from this ? Is there any point in hoping mum will suddenly pull out of this horrendous nosedive ?

Dementia - just when you think things can't possibly get any worse, they do.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
SitsThere, I have no idea what to say but could not read and run. I am so very sorry to hear about the situation with your mother and cannot imagine how awful this must be. I hope they are able to help with at least some of the pain.

As you say, with dementia, just when you think you might possibly have a bit of a handle on it and that things can't get worse...you don't, and they do.

Thinking of you.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
So sorry to hear this, poor you and poor her, life must be so distressing for you at the moment

Does she have a UTI - sometimes children refuse to drink or eat if they have an infection because they don't want to have to use the toilet because it is too painful and a UTI is often missed and can cause severe confusion and some aggressive behaviours. Just a thought

Thnking of you xx