What a difference a day makes

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
For weeks I have been battling with the fact that I get no response from my OH in his care home. I have been hoping that because he stares at me he is connecting in some small way and that he knows I am there with him although I have been reduced to tears many times. But yesterday on my visit he was completely different. He actually spoke to me several times. Just two or three words at a time but clearly. Saying hallo when I arrived and smiled at me four times too. I couldn’t believe it! And when I stood up to leave he told me to sit down! Which obviously I did . He was obviously having a very lucid day but It does go to show how much they are still there even though you get no feed back. I’m not unrealistic to expect a day like that on every visit but that one day was amazing.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I have often read about people getting these lucid days - I’m glad you got that, treasure it.

It’s a fact that the original person is always there. The unfortunate thing is that they get buried so deep under their symptoms that they can become ever more difficult to find as time goes on. Hang on to the thought that they are still there as it may help to sustain you.:)

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I can vouch for this @Jean1234 even though my husband is still at home, weak and ill. He has just had a couple of lucid days and I think ‘he is improving’, but it’s an illusion and today he is bad again, not as ill as your OH but still not at all good. He is still the same sweet man but hollowed out is how I put it. Heartbreaking.