What a day!!

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
I left my mobile at home this morning as I left with the boys, shopping for a prezzie for C as he had been top scorer, then travelling up to visit Mum 33 miles away. Whilst shopping with the boys I realised I was without my phone so detoured back via home to get it before heading north (thinking if I had a breakdown I wanted the phone!) I was to drop the boys of at my inlaws before heading to see Mum in the NH.

As I got back in the house the phone was buzzing with voice mail. It was the NH asking me to call. Mum had had a heavy duty TIA in the main lounge, was out of it, had no pulse or BP reading for 1 1/2 mins. Get there.

Drove rapidly the 30+ miles north, decanted boys at their grandparents (I did stop the car first, just....) and headed the mile to the NH.

When I got there Mum was sitting in bed smiling. She had some round a few minutes earlier! She is very wobbly, but became a little clearer as the day progressed. Even got out of bed with the help of two staff for the loo and a change.

Just back and have put the boys to bed..going to have a microwave curry, (thanks Tesco!) and pray that the phone does not ring again. DH is away so I cannot even have a big glass of wine!

The staff really thought that she was going to go this morning. That is the third time..does Mum really have the proverbial nine lives..not sure my nerves can take this!

Mameeskye

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Mameeskye

Is there any possibility of your moving your mother nearer? You have a long journey and in an emergency it must seem even longer.

I hope she will be OK now for a while. Sorry about the wine.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Mameeskye, that was indeed a day and a half!

I'm so glad your mum was OK, but it must have been a very hairy drive for you. I do hope you don't get called out again tonight.

I hope you enjoyed your curry, and you can have two glasses of wine tomorrow.

Love,

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Thanks Hazel & Sylvia

Just one of those days...I sometimes think that I'll go from stress before Mum. That is the third time I have done the mad drive. The first two were when I was living in Skye down to where Mum is now which was a 225 mile drive..so yesterday was substantially better and faster.

At this stage in Mum's life I don't want to move her. She is so frail I would be condemning her to death were I to do that.

I rang the nursing home last night and she had been doing fine. I asked the staff nurse if she thought I dared risk a glass of wine and she said she saw no reason why not..so I had half a glass and started yawning. My neighbour also came round and spent the evening with me until my husband got back. It was really kind of her.

Oh well..that was another day of hope and fear...I know it wont be long until the next time now. She is startingt o go down hill. I just need to develop nerves of steel!!!!!

Love

Mameeskye

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Mameeskye said:
I just need to develop nerves of steel!!!!!

Wouldn't that be good!:D

Maybe not steel, though, I wouldn't want to be totally insensitive. Very strong (and imperishable) elastic, maybe, so that they'd spring back into shape immediately after being stretched?

Hope you enjoyed your wine (and your sleep),

Love,