What a day!

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
:) I am typing this with a very sore arm. I managed to trap my arm in the taxi door this morning, trying to send Lionel off for a couple of hours to the day centre.

Centre phoned just before sending him home to say he had a fall in the toilets.
Not hurt apparently, but came home wearing a different set of clothes.

About 5pm he needed the loo, I sat him on this and left him in private. Obviously one minute too long. He decided that he could stand up, and wipe his bottom himself. Ooops, Lionel on floor, in a very messy, and sorry state.

Cleaned him up, and luckily my son was visiting (we have an Australian great nephew staying) and was able to help me get Lionel back on an even keel.

Nice meal, pleasant evening, family went home about 9pm. I made dear Lionel ready for bed at 10, went to sit him down in the bathroom chair, BANG, straight on the bathroom floor.

By this time he is really out of things. Great nephew helped me to get Lionel up, but I think I have strained my back somewhat. Still Lionel is comfortable, and "told me he loved me as I tucked him up"

I wish I were stronger, all this lifting, even with help is so draining, but what else can I do. My Lionel is so lovely, I am always so glad I met him.

I do worry how much longer we can continue, but "Tomorrow is another day":)

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Connie
i can't say much to offer any comfort or help
I'd really like to send you one of your big hugs but I still haven't worked it out!!!
so here's one from me

H U G

hope tomorrow's better:)
lovexx

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
connie said:
:)
."told me he loved me as I tucked him up"

I wish I were stronger, all this lifting, even with help is so draining, but what else can I do. My Lionel is so lovely, I am always so glad I met him.

I do worry how much longer we can continue, but "Tomorrow is another day":)

I am so moved by this Connie. I am sure that Lionel is also always glad that he met you, and so very lucky to have done so.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Oh Connie, I'm so sorry things are going like this for you both.

I know so well the feelings of frustration - both of the situation, and of our own finite physical strength - and the fear of where we go from here, coupled with the knowledge that at some stage things will have to change. How long? How bad? How to manage?

I think that, in caring for someone with dementia, we have to build up layer upon layer of emotional scar tissue. This enables us to do things we would never have thought possible, to find hidden strengths. It doesn't take away the hurt, but it seems to do something, so we can try and do the right thing, whatever that may be at the particular time.

Take care of yourself!

katieberesford

May 5, 2005
south wales
Hi Connie

Just read your thread. So sorry things are like they are. You are such a lovely lady, so caring, but you must take more care of yourself and that back of yours.

I am sending you a big, big hug and will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Love Katie xxx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thanks all for your warm thoughts.
my original post was 11pm. At 1.30 am another fall after toiletting.
Called paramedics, just could not risk the back again.

Feel sure things will get better soon, love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Connie,

Just read your post. It sounds as if your Lionel is at about the same stage as my John. It's so hard, wanting to do the best you can, but worrying about not having the physical strength.

I also have the impression (am I wrong?), that Lionel is your second husband, as John is mine. We were both previously widowed. It seems so unfair that after the years of loneliness we found each other, only for this to happen. I love him so much, and can't bear to lose him. I'm sure you feel the same.

I hope you've had a better day today, Connie. I know you'll do the best you can for you and Lionel.

Hugs,

Skye

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Connie
throughout all your problems you always stay so positive and optimistic....sometimes I wonder if you realise how much strength and hope you give to others........
Take care
Love and hugs
xx