What’s the first step during the COVID crisis?

Amanda1954

Nov 5, 2006
Leicester
I haven’t been on the forum for years since my mum died with Alzheimer’s. I had hoped never to need it again. But my husband (76) is worried he is showing early signs of dementia. Thankfully he is aware and is prepared to seek help.

My question is, during this pandemic, will he be able to see his GP and discuss It with her. And will I be able to go with him because he won’t remember what she said. And will the GP be able to refer him? We haven’t seen our doctor since the start of lockdown and have only had a couple of telephone appointments.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Face to face contact with clinicians currently is discouraged.

You could try phoning the GP and asking for a telephone (video?) consultation with the GP.
He will be able to tell the GP of his concerns, if they are memory related the GP might organise a blood test to check for non dementia problems, I've heard of blood tests being done whilst sitting in a car in the car park.

Ring the surgery and ask.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It might vary from surgery to surgery but my own GP will hold a phone/video call first to establish what the issue is. If they feel that a surgery visit is necessary they will make an appointment - during lockdown I've had two surgery appointments, although these have been for urgent reasons rather than something routine. My sister works as a GP receptionist in another part of the country and their procedures are the same. There's nothing to stop the GP making a referral to the memory clinic for your husband if they think it is necessary but there may be some delay before getting an appointment as some memory clinics are still closed and when they reopen they will have to deal with a backlog of referrals/appointments. As Nitram has mentioned, the GP may arrange for a blood test and these are still taking place during lockdown so an initial chat with the GP will hopefully get things moving.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH has had a few phone consultations and like your husband, he will forget what has been said. I get round this by putting the phone on speakerphone (I make sure the doctor knows that Ive done this) so that I can hear what is being said to OH and I can also add my own comment where necessary.

Amanda1954

Nov 5, 2006
Leicester
Face to face contact with clinicians currently is discouraged.

You could try phoning the GP and asking for a telephone (video?) consultation with the GP.
He will be able to tell the GP of his concerns, if they are memory related the GP might organise a blood test to check for non dementia problems, I've heard of blood tests being done whilst sitting in a car in the car park.

Ring the surgery and ask.
Thank you. We’ll phone them And start the ball rolling.