We've found a home

Mummy's Girl

Oct 27, 2006
Wigan
:) It is VERY local and has 2 spaces in the EMI section. My sisters have visited it 3 times at different times (just dropping in) and has met the manager who happens to be the daughter of one of mum's old friends! It is ideal and so we will be contacting the social worker when she gets back off holiday to arrange a financial assessment. We know she won't get help as she owns her own home, but we are happy to sell it (me and my brother are POAs).

A risk assessment has already been done on mum which states that she needs one to one care 24/7 to enable her to be safe due to the constant wandering and I think the consultant will apply a section if she did refuse to go.... if we are POA, does she have a say anyway?

So the ball will be set rolling in the next few days. One of my sisters is leading this out and has got a lot of info from Help the Aged as well as our local Alzheimer's Support Group.

Thanks for your ongoing help and support!

Karen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Karen, That is good news.

It is so lucky to find a home that`s so local and one you have faith in. I hope it all turns out well for all of you.

Please post an update to let us know how it goes.

Fingers crossed.

Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Yes it is good to read that you have found a home in your area that you like .

My SW tells me its up to my mother if she wants to go into care home permanently as my mother still no her surrounding so wants to live with me , so still has a choice .

but seeing that you have done a risk assessment and your are self funded things may apply different for you .

I suppose I would have to get the support of the doctor , who done the risk assessment ?

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
I am very pleased for all of you.

I don't know if your Mum refuses to go that the POA will have any effect at all, I think it is only used at the moment for financial management.

However, if everyone concerned knows this is the right thing for her, hopefully she will settle quickly and be fine with staying there.

When Mum went to her first residential home we said she would be staying with a friend of ours for a while, as we had to go to work and there would be no-one to look after her.

She was ok with that, but was well in to mid-stage by then and didn't recognise her own home a lot of the time.

I know, another fib!!

But what other choice was there...........Dad was dying and we needed to be with him.

Residential care, self-funded, is working very well for all of us.

Good luck.

Kathleen

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Kathleen's correct: the EPA only affects financial rather than physical issues. On the other hand if your mother was sectioned (not the short-term sectioning, the longer term sections 3, 37, 47 or 48) the health authoriies have a duty of after-care: in effect your mother would be entitled to full-funded care.

Jennifer

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
So pleased you've found somewhere so suitable and pleasant for your Mum!
I agree that it might be an idea to suggest to her (if she is unwilling) that there are reasons why she needs to go into the home "for the present" - even if it does involve "little white fibs" as another TPer calls them!

I hope it all goes smoothly for you. Sending good wishes your way.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi karen
I just want to wish you the very best with mum and sincerely hope that all goes well. In relation to your question on POA as I live in Australia I'm not sure if the same applies in the UK as here, I have General Power of Attorney where there is a clause that states: This general power of attorney is given with the intention that it will continue to be effective notwithstanding that after its execution I suffer loss of capacity through unsoundness of mind. I was the one who had to sign mum into the care facility as she appointed me her POA.