1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. Wee sis

Wee sis Registered User

Sep 18, 2017
    Has anyone found an effective disposable pedestal mat? I’m constantly washing and drying our toilet floor as my husband can’t aim. I’ve tried a coloured light which helped briefly but as he also has Parkinson’s his aim is rubbish. He refuses to sit down and denies that he made the mess. Help!!!

2. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I wish! My dad does the same and of course it isn't him either! I just use washable ones. I've tried cutting a pet pad to fit but dad just moves them. Maybe you'll have more luck.

3. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    I've also read about people cutting pet pads to for (and maybe taping them down) but haven't done this myself. I hope others with more expertise will be along to offer suggestions.

4. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    Same problem here...but I don’t use a pedestal mat at all. Just frequently clean the floor with anti bac.

5. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
  6. pinkwizard1

pinkwizard1 Registered User

Oct 9, 2017
    Female
    Fortunately we have wooden floors and no mats as it's a fall hazard. Kitchen roll and anti bacterial does it for me