West Yorkshire

Poppetweb

My comments are concerning care in West Yorkshire and particularly in my area - Calderdale.

Here there are no homes for Alzheimer's patients apart from a EMI unit, particularly if the patient requires nursing care also.

As I have previously stated on this forum, my father is a sufferer for the last 6 years (possibly longer) and in the last six months my mother and I have been trying to arrange, if somewhat reluctantly, some respite care or perhaps something more permanent.

Unluckily, we live in Calderdale where there is really nothing available so we are left to struggle (and struggle we do) at home.

Is anyone else from Calderdale and do they have any experiences from this part of the country?

Here you can pay up to £940 a week for care - why can afford that?

Perhaps my mother will have to sell her house, the proceeds of that should last 2 years, if that.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Poppetweb
Does that mean there are no people in Calderdale with dementia? There must be provision somewhere. What about the surroundimg areas? Is provision available there?
Have you contacted social services to ask their help. I do hope you manage to get someone to listen to you.
Good luck

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Go to page 8 http://www.wysha.nhs.uk/Library/Com...the CPLNHS on reconfiguratuon of the SHAs.pdf

Shows the services in your area , if your father is in late stages they do tend to put people at that stage in nursing care home for respite (EMI unit )

Your mother would not have to sell her home , if your father went into care full time , as that is her only home , if your father has saving over £20 , 00 then he have to pay for respite

. it does all depend on post code area , in how good services are , some area I have read on TP come under the mental heath unit with people with dementia , they also have SW have your spoken to them ?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
If a moderator pop in they may kindly link your to thread together , as it does not take a lot to :confused: me :)

Poppetweb

Margarita said:
Go to page 8 http://www.wysha.nhs.uk/Library/Com...the CPLNHS on reconfiguratuon of the SHAs.pdf

Shows the services in your area , if your father is in late stages they do tend to put people at that stage in nursing care home for respite (EMI unit )

Your mother would not have to sell her home , if your father went into care full time , as that is her only home , if your father has saving over £20 , 00 then he have to pay for respite

. it does all depend on post code area , in how good services are , some area I have read on TP come under the mental heath unit with people with dementia , they also have SW have your spoken to them ?

No, not in Calderdale, she will have to sell to afford the £525/week fee - £140 of which will be paid by the council!

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Poppetweb said:
No, not in Calderdale, she will have to sell to afford the £525/week fee - £140 of which will be paid by the council!

If your parents own their home jointly then it does not have to be sold to pay care home fees

person's home will not be taken into account as capital if it is occupied by:

A husband, wife or unmarried partner
A close relative under the age of 16 or over the age of 60
A relative under the age of 60 who is disabled.
The local authority may ignore the value of the house if it is the permanent home of a carer.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Caring...idential_and_nursing_care/info_payingfees.htm

Brenda

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Poppetweb said:
Yes, this is fine but who really pays the remainder of the care costs? In order to do that she would have to sell the house.

I know that many areas have a limit to how much they will pay towards fees, but I am sure it must be a lot more than £140.

Brenda

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
So I am assuming your father does not have saving over £20, 00

All they have is a joint house, and pension.

So your saying that if your father go into care home, social services have told you they part fund it, the rest would have to come out of any basic pension benfits , pervert pension your father has?

Not your mothers pension and she can still live in the joint house .

Social service would pay for respite all founded under an assessment of your father if he does not have income over £20. 00.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elbazcat