Wernickes encephalopathy, karsocoff syndrome, borderline personality disorder

Katie1990

Jan 3, 2020
Hi my names Katie,

My brother has been an alcoholic for 20+ years and has been through multiple detox programmes but he has always relapsed. Almost a year ago now he was found in his home, barely conscious therefore an ambulance was called and he was in hospital for 3 weeks. He had various injuries from falling etc. Mostly bruises and was bed ridden for most of the 3 weeks. He was diagnosed with wernickes encephalopathy, which as I understand is a neurological disorder caused by lack of vitamin b1. In my brothers case it's because of the alcohol abuse. This left him with severe nerve damage in his extremities and memory problems.
He was quite determined to abstain from alcohol at this point, and received physiotherapy and withdrawal medication. The symptoms of the wernickes seemed to subside. He managed to walk again and his mental well being improved, like I had my old brother back. He managed around 9 to 12 weeks, but relapsed again.
He has gradually deteriorated since then and the symptoms of the wernickes are back. A few weeks ago he was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, and has been hitting the alcohol even harder since then, thus the symptoms of the wernickes has rapidly increased. His coordination is all over the place, repeatedly falling and having to drag himself to bed as hes not strong enough to pick himself up. He is terribly paranoid, he thinks his neighbours have set up cameras filming him, and constantly has the curtains closed. He believes himself to be special and has a some kind of superior mind to everyone else (this is a symptom of the personality disorder) which makes it difficult trying to broach the subject of helping him. Very irrational a lot of the time, lots of angressive outbursts. This very upsetting and frightening at times.
There has been numerous professionals involved, GPs, counsellors, psychiatrists all of whom have been great. The problem is my brother, whilst he has moments of realisation where he recognises he needs to detox, when push comes to shove he will not see anything through. We have even been to a psychiatric hospital and he was ready to go in to stay and be sectioned, and he dropped out last minute, swearing and being aggressive to the staff.
He lives alone with a dog, unfortunately he has pushed all his friends away so there is me, my mum and my husband. We all work full time and cannot be there for him all the time. I personally think he needs to be somewhere with 24 hour care due his deteriorating physical and mental health. The problem is I am finding it difficult finding resources who can help us. All I'm told is that because hes an alcoholic and it's his choice he does not qualify for that kind of care as it's the alcohol making him that way and he is quite different when hes sober.
I hope you understand my frustration as I am completely at a loss what to do next. I lay awake each night terrified hes died from falling or alcohol overdose.
I also apologize if I'm in the wrong place, but there isn't much I could find about wernickes karsocoff syndrome apart from alcohol related dementia, which led me here.
Thank you for taking the time to read and for any responses, apologies for the lengthy post, this is the short version ha! If I've missed anything out please ask
Katie

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I feel for you, how hard watching your brother self destructing.

He does sound as though. he needs a secure placement.

((hug)) its so hard

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Katie1990

Perhaps if you ould get the medics to accept your brother`s dementia is making it even more impossible to stay with a decision and is adding to his inability to cure his addiction to alcohol, it would help.

My husband was teetotal but there came a time, with his dementia when I knew he would be unable to stick to any decision he made.
Addiction is hard enough to overcome without the additional impediment of dementia.

Has it been established whether or not your brother has capacity?

Katie1990

Jan 3, 2020
Hello @

Perhaps if you ould get the medics to accept your brother`s dementia is making it even more impossible to stay with a decision and is adding to his inability to cure his addiction to alcohol, it would help.

My husband was teetotal but there came a time, with his dementia when I knew he would be unable to stick to any decision he made.
Addiction is hard enough to overcome without the additional impediment of dementia.

Has it been established whether or not your brother has capacity?

Hi thank you for your reply,
I have thought about this myself butas far as I'm aware he hasn't had a capacity assessment because he needs to be in a sober state in order to be assessed properly. The problem is getting him sober. We don't even know the extent of the damage with the wernickes, it's a funny situation. As I understand it's the only kind of dementia that can be reversed. It's hard to determine whether it's the damage to his physical and mental health is going to be permanent without him being sober. His mental state is up and down, he has moments of clarity and then sounds like he's on another planet. But is it the alcohol or the wernickes? I have no idea

Katie1990

Jan 3, 2020
I feel for you, how hard watching your brother self destructing.

He does sound as though. he needs a secure placement.

((hug)) its so hard

Thank you, It is very hard, we have no idea where to turn his situation is pretty rare. There isn't many resources for this condition as it's not fully understood yet

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @Katie1990
I think you’d benefit from having a chat with our helpline

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22

Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Katie1990
Has your brother had an MRI to rule out any damage to the frontal lobes?
The reason I ask is because my OH had a couple of psychotic episodes like the one you described (thinking he is God etc), but they were due to damage in the frontal lobes from a car accident. My understanding of BPD is that it usually starts in your teens and twenties. Was there any sign of BPD before he developed Wernickes?

Katie1990

Jan 3, 2020
Hello @Katie1990
Has your brother had an MRI to rule out any damage to the frontal lobes?
The reason I ask is because my OH had a couple of psychotic episodes like the one you described (thinking he is God etc), but they were due to damage in the frontal lobes from a car accident. My understanding of BPD is that it usually starts in your teens and twenties. Was there any sign of BPD before he developed Wernickes?

Hi canary, thank you for replying and I'm sorry to hear about your OH, I hope things have improved since those episodes.
My brother has had an MRI when he was in hospital, that's how they diagnosed the wernickes encephalopathy. That was a year ago, he was also told if he continued to drink the condition would only get worse, so I can't imagine what extent the damage is at now.
Now we know the diagnosis and have read up on the condition, we realise there were signs of bpd. He's very handsome and quite vain, was always very popular and thought a lot of himself. Whilst he did show love and empathy to others he's always been quite self centred, even more so now due to alcoholism. He had lots of attention from his paternal grandmother who made him feel special compared to his younger brother who she excluded, even rejected. So this could be the source, who knows, I'm unsure if it's hereditary, his paternal grandmother wasn't a very nice person any way. The alcohol consumption has just exacerbated his ego. While he realises his life is a mess he still thinks he knows better than everyone else and thinks everyone is conspiring against him.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry to hear about your brother. I asked about the BPD as frontal lobe damage can cause personality changes similar to BPD
While he realises his life is a mess he still thinks he knows better than everyone else and thinks everyone is conspiring against him.
Im afraid that this is typical of many people with dementia.
Im not sure what you can do in these circumstances, but sending you tons of empathy. I hope the helpline can give you some advice
xxx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Katie1990
a warm welcome to DTP
it's so hard wanting to help someone who will not be helped

I did a search of DTP for korsacoff, maybe something on the resulting posts might be useful
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/search/32264470/?q=korsakoff&o=date

these pages on the main AS site have info ... though given your brother's relapse and responses to you trying to help, not sure how much you can help him, sadly

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about...ia/alcohol-related-brain-damage#content-start

Katie1990

Jan 3, 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to research this! They have been useful ! But unfortunately like you said I'm still not clear about how to help him.
The problem with mark (my brother) is he doesn't fit into any one category. He's an alcoholic, mentally ill and has physical disabilities. So there isn't any one intervention to help him. There's definitely a gap in the care system where they need to reevaluate chronic alcoholism as a mental illness rather than just an addiction. It's all down to his capacity, if he's deemed to lack capacity then they can take over and help him. But unfortunately by law they can't assess him until he is sober and it's basically up to mark to help himself.