Wernicke korsakoff

Onelife

Dec 4, 2018
hi so this may be a long shot as wernicke-korsakoff syndrome (another type of dementia) is fairly rare but I could do with some advice on it if anyone has any please.

My grandad got diagnosed with this in hospital and is down to years of alcoholism, he was in hospital for over 2 months, he was absolutely crazy, threatening to stab and kill people, total memory loss, the hospital were adamant he would never be allowed home, a home he shares with his wife who has moderate dementia in an annexe attached to my house, they said he’d be going in to a secure psychiatric unit. He’s been detoxed in hospital. To cut a long story short the hospital sent him home when he became more sane though being highly medicated. He is on very strong anti psychotic medication which we have been told to wean him off slowly over a period of time but there seems to be no back up from the hospital to check how things go. They’ve told him he can never drink again or the syndrome continues.
3 weeks later and he’s drinking a mixture of vodka, wine and lager all day every day. I challenged this to which I got told he would burn my house down with me in it if I didn’t shut up so we have continued to let him drink.

Does anyone know how bad this gets? And how quickly?

Social services are not worth mentioning as they do absolutely nothing.

What I really want to know is do I now live like this for a month or a year before he’s in hospital or dead? There’s no help for him now he’s past help.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Onelife
a warm welcome to TP
what a horrible situation for your family

I don't have experience of this but maybe these sites may help
https://www.youngdementiauk.org/korsakoff’s-syndromehttps://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/..._brain_damage_including_korsakoffs_syndrome/6

I do agree with nae sporran, your grandma is being put at risk of harm living with someone as volatile and in need of care as her husband and the LA have the duty of care for her, as she is a vulnerable adult - contact them and tell them that she is entitled to an up to date assessment of her care needs, that you will not be able to provide the level of care she needs because of her husband's behaviour, and you will hold them responsible if anything happens to her - write or email so you create a 'paper trail'

are you able to discuss your grandad's behaviour with his GP, or at least put him in the picture so he knows - the hospital should have sent a letter to thd GP especially if new meds are involved
if your grandad becomes aggressive or violent do call the police so there is an official record and the police can make referrals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet