We're short, we're sharp but we're out there

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Oh I do agree. As I've mentioned before, I feel we are the Forgotten Sufferers and there seems to be a total lack of understanding about what we go through. The toll it takes on us is unbearable at times isn't it? Here's hoping for some much needed education about carers of our loved ones.

I fostered a lovely lad, James, we got him when he was 4 months old - he had cerebral palsy. As he got older he took a lot of 'getting ready' in the mornings - and I had 3 other children of my own including a baby. The Transport people from County wanted to send James' taxi for him at something stupid o'clock - about 7am I think it was, instead of 7.30am. ( we lived 30 miles from his school)

I argued with them and in the end spoke with the head manager - I extended a welcome to him of an overnight stay in my home, and for him to try to do what I had to do each morning, to get the family sorted for the day - I told him that if he was able to do it all and have James ready for 7.00am, I would gladly agree to the change of time.

He stepped back and the old time was kept !!!!!!:D

and I do not think that Carers today will ever get a better deal until some of these high flying politicians have to do what we do.

The only one I can think of was Angela Browning MP for Tiverton - I met her a few times - her son had autism - in the end she gave up her seat in the House of Commons to care for him.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I do not think that Carers today will ever get a better deal until some of these high flying politicians have to do what we do.
And many of those will be able to afford enough private care to not feel the full extent of the problems which we do/have.
The only one I can think of was Angela Browning MP for Tiverton - I met her a few times - her son had autism - in the end she gave up her seat in the House of Commons to care for him.
Good for her. She will understand.
But giving up being an MP has less of a chance to make any impact on decisions. :(

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
I fostered a lovely lad, James, we got him when he was 4 months old - he had cerebral palsy. As he got older he took a lot of 'getting ready' in the mornings - and I had 3 other children of my own including a baby. The Transport people from County wanted to send James' taxi for him at something stupid o'clock - about 7am I think it was, instead of 7.30am. ( we lived 30 miles from his school)

I argued with them and in the end spoke with the head manager - I extended a welcome to him of an overnight stay in my home, and for him to try to do what I had to do each morning, to get the family sorted for the day - I told him that if he was able to do it all and have James ready for 7.00am, I would gladly agree to the change of time.

He stepped back and the old time was kept !!!!!!:D

and I do not think that Carers today will ever get a better deal until some of these high flying politicians have to do what we do.

Oh well done you! Bet he wasn't expecting that. I used to work in SEN and know the difficulties around transport. Some children were spending far too long in a taxi which collected them at a ridiculously early hour and then picked other pupils up for what should have been a relatively short journey to school. Apart from trying to get the children up and ready so early, they would arrive at school exhausted and the same when they eventually arrived home. Unfortunately I was not senior enough to change things but I tried!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95