We're short, we're sharp but we're out there

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Done it guys. My letter about our plight is in the times correspondence page this morning, nicely positioned. This is probably a first for its hard-hitting nature. See what you think.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I don’t subscribe so can you post a copy of your letter here @kindred?

OK, any newsagent will have it, but here is what I said:

Care in the Home

Sir, Rachel Sylvester's proposals for healthcare are to be applauded. One thing though is never raised. Yes, patients are on the whole better cared for at home. But this ignores the plight of those caring for loved ones with dementia. Sharing a home with a family member with severe dementia is like sharing a cell with a person who is unpredictable and often violent. Ask the police and ambulance services how often they are called out. Carers are treated as of secondary or no importance and their suffering is immense. I know - I was the sole carer for my husband, who has dementia and is now in a nursing home, for four years.

I don’t subscribe so can you post a copy of your letter here @kindred?

Last edited by a moderator:

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
C
OK, any newsagent will have it, but here is what I said:

Care in the Home

Sir, Rachel Sylvester's proposals for healthcare are to be applauded. One thing though is never raised. Yes, patients are on the whole better cared for at home. But this ignores the plight of those caring for loved ones with dementia. Sharing a home with a family member with severe dementia is like sharing a cell with a person who is unpredictable and often violent. Ask the police and ambulance services how often they are called out. Carers are treated as of secondary or no importance and their suffering is immense. I know - I was the sole carer for my husband, who has dementia and is now in a nursing home, for four years.

Congratulations it’s a wonderful letter. Pithy and not a word wasted. And thanks so much @marionq for requesting the text. I tried to access the letter online and couldn’t so this means a lot to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
C

Congratulations it’s a wonderful letter. Pithy and not a word wasted. And thanks so much @marionq for requesting the text. I tried to access the letter online and couldn’t so this means a lot to me.
C

Thank YOU!! Thank you. It's the most hard-hitting thing I've seen about us carers. Needed to b said, and thank you. xx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Of course in addition many carers have to
Lose what would have been their joint income and assets for old age. The illness has all the emotional and financial disadvantages of a divorce.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Of course in addition many carers have to
Lose what would have been their joint income and assets for old age. The illness has all the emotional and financial disadvantages of a divorce.
Thank you and why in the name of Heaven are we treated so badly???

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Because they know how much it would cost and no-one can afford it - so sweep it all under the carpet and pretend its not happening
Of course. But the human suffering is immense. I wish there was something else I could do.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Brilliant letter, Kindred. Hope this is the start of something.
Thank you. It is a marker in the sand, that's the important thing and when the green paper comes out, it can be referred to. It's creating a precedent of saying it like it is for carers. Thank you.

Unhappy15

Feb 7, 2015
Hello Geraldine,
Thank you, it's a great letter and if anyone in power had any soul they should follow up on it, but of course they won't. It only becomes a problem when you acknowledge it. I think they see carers as expendable, we don't walk away, we just carry on and carry on because what else can you do.
It just makes me so mad, lip service is all you get but no constructive help, thank goodness we have TP to vent our feelings and at least you know how many of us are glad you got it out there.
Best Wishes
Kathy xxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hello Geraldine,
Thank you, it's a great letter and if anyone in power had any soul they should follow up on it, but of course they won't. It only becomes a problem when you acknowledge it. I think they see carers as expendable, we don't walk away, we just carry on and carry on because what else can you do.
It just makes me so mad, lip service is all you get but no constructive help, thank goodness we have TP to vent our feelings and at least you know how many of us are glad you got it out there.
Best Wishes
Kathy xxx
Thank you so much, Kathy and it's great to hear from you. I wanted to make a start in speaking about this as it is, not minimising it. No, I do agree, no constructive help. So very good to hear from you.
Gxx