We're back post op

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Alan's op went well and they treated him very well. The only slight hiccup was that he was supposed to be operated on first to keep his time in hospital to a minimum and avoid confusion but he was seen last (3rd). I did mention it to them and they said the desk staff at the time of appointment hadn't passed on the message and it wasn't in his notes anywhere. They were very apologetic and asked me next time to mention it as soon as we arrive.

Alan was getting just a little agitated but then we were told we could go. They have also said they will do the other eye very shortly which is great as I thought they'd try to cost cut and avoid doing it altogether as it is such a small cataract at the moment.

Thanks for your best wishes.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good to hear it all went well Helen, in spite of the hiccup.

I don`t know whether or not Alan will be able to explain the benefits of his surgery but for me, the world had been spring cleaned.

Trees had branches, windows on houses were suddenly of different styles, road markings seemed freshly painted and dirty fingerprints suddenly appeared all over the paintwork. :rolleyes:

Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Helen,

So pleased everything went "relatively" smoothly...

Wishing Alan a speedy recovery...at least maybe you managed to catch up with gossip in the mags while you waited around.

dirty fingerprints suddenly appeared all over the paintwork.
...Ah Sylvia...there's a down side to everything...;):D

Love gigi xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks everyone

I don't think it will affect Alan's sight much because it was the slightest cataract which really they wouldn't normally operate on so Alan's sight wasn't really impaired. The reason for the operation is that the cataract will grow and by then Alan probably wouldn't be able to follow the instructions or give his consent (in which case they wouldn't do it). They have pulled out all the stops to get it done quickly and they'll also do the other one within the next 8 weeks I think.

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
p.s.

Forgot to say that never mind the paintwork, he'll probably see the few whiskers that keep appearing:D

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Glad it went well. It sounds as though, apart from the slight hiccup, you have had first class treatment.

Was it NHS? Sorry, I'm not being nosey and don't feel obliged to answer, but I am surprised and delighted if the NHS would do an operation before it was physically needed because of the anticipated decline in Alan's condition. :) Common sense in the NHS bureaucracy? :)

(That didn't look right, but have checked and that is how you spell bureaucracy :eek:)

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks everyone

And yes it was NHS. I have to admit that anything Alan has had done on the NHS which is not dementia related has been excellent and the non-dementia departments and staff have been so willing to accept certain treatment and in some cases offering to change their usual practice. Anything to do with his actual illness has been awful and the staff have all left a lot to be desired. Maybe they get sick of it or just used to it and don't realise that they are not treating people as valuable and special. Who knows?!

Love

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Anything to do with his actual illness has been awful and the staff have all left a lot to be desired. Maybe they get sick of it or just used to it and don't realise that they are not treating people as valuable and special. Who knows?!

don't realise that they are not treating people as valuable and special. Who knows?!

Your right about that . I belive its because they only see the physical able body of the person, with no physical disability.

They can't see with they own eyes can't even imagine the disease that going on in they brain,even nurses have the same attitude, unless they dementia nurses . its always been like that with any mental illnesses .

Even nurses in NH are not admiral nurses. They Just normal nurses.

Its all down to government & funding & dementia care is at the end of government priority.