Welsh Members!

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi All

I was just wondering if any members of TP live within the Cardiff and Vale NHS Trust area, in particular the Llandough Memory Clinic.

Since mum’s move to the NH from the Monmouth area, she now resides within the catchment area for the above clinic.

Mum is prescribed Aricept, (currently refusing all medication, but that’s another story).

When mum resided in Monmouth, her Consultant used to send her Aricept prescriptions via post to my brother who used to take it along to the local pharmacy to get the medication.

However, since her move we have had problems. Llandough Memory Clinic will not do this; the medication has to be collected from Llandough Hospital Pharmacy. This is a 50 mile round trip for me, and whilst I do not have a problem with this (if mum would take them, I would walk every step of the way).

I have challenged their ‘procedure’, I have asked if I left with them stamped addressed envelopes, would they post the prescription – their response, no, no facility to do this!

I asked what would be the situation if I could not get to the hospital; the response was the NH would have to collect it. I pointed out that whilst this was feasible in theory, would they not agree that dispatching staff from the NH to collect medication would leave the rest of the residents vulnerable in an under staffed situation, response – not their problem.

I have contacted the AD Society in Cardiff. They agreed this is an unacceptable situation. It leaves me wondering how many AD suffers in this area are going without the medication they desperately need because they do not have anyone to collect it for them. Any replies from people living in this area will be passed onto the AD Society in Cardiff.

Many thanks.
Cate

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
I'm on the opposite side of the world, Cate, so cannot help you. But I agree this is anintolerable situation. I hope you can get some support and achieve a positive result. Good Luck!

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Thanks Nell, it does seem that they have taken 'procedure' to the detriment of the vulnerable. With luck, and support we maybe able to get things changed. Fingers crossed

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There are some peculiar procedures with Hospital Pharmacies, and I`ve no idea why.

When my husband was admitted to A&E with a chest infection, he was prescribed antibiotics. The Pharmacy was closed, so they gave him one dose, and gave me a prescription which I couldn`t take to our local Pharmacy, but only take to the hospital Pharmacy to be made up.

So the foloowing day, instead of a 15 minute walk to the local pharmacy, I had to get a taxi to the Hospital.

I know this was a one off Cate, and your mother`s is a regular prescription, but could there be a link.

Doesn`t help your predicament, but it might be an explanation.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
When I need a prescription for John's Ad meds, I ring the consultant's secretary, the prescription is sent out the same day, and I can take it to any pharmacy. I could even have it sent directly to a pharmacy of my choice, but I like to be sure!

It all seems so obvious, I can't understand why other areas have to make it so complicated. After all, AD medication is not exactly a street drug!

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
It is just so frustrating. That is exactly what used to happen with mum's first Consultant Hazel, it was no problem at all.

As I mentioned in my first post, I have a car, and it's not a problem for me, it just makes me cross that there are others such as yourself Sylvia that have to go to the expense of a taxi, when a stamp would do the job just as well.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Grannie G said:
There are some peculiar procedures with Hospital Pharmacies, and I`ve no idea why.

Forgive me for being cynical ... but I always thought it was to do with budgets .... I know when my own hubby was discharged from hospital a couple of years ago there were some items I could only get for him from the hospital pharmacy - others were on prescription from GP on the direction of his consultant - although had to be ordered by any local pharmacy where I presented the 'script' because they didn't 'stock' them (usually only 24/48 hour delivery) ..... on grounds of cost and / or supply/demand.....

I could never understand if they knew why there was a long-term need for certain drugs they never sent him home from hospital with sufficient to cover his needs ... or maybe I did and don't even want to think about it .....
:(

My mum's memory clinic faxes prescription advice re Aricept to mum's GP ...... with prescription collection and delivery services in the area provided by local surgeries and independent chemists, in theory I never have to even visit the GP surgery nor see sight of a prescription to ensure mum has her medication ... (whether she takes it or not being a completely different matter, I know, Cate).

Another thing I don't understand, Cate - the CPNs in the Memory teams are not 'qualified' to give presciptions anyway - only advice to GPs or consultants ???? How can they dictate where the drugs they recommend are obtained, let alone how? Has your mum had to change consultant because of the move?

Final cynical thought ..... I know I have struggled the last couple of months to obtain mum's Aricept at local chemists on the 'first try' ..... last month I picked up her 'script' and took it to a nationally known High Street pharmacy and was greeted with a shake of the head..... perhaps some chemists and pharmacies in some areas are simply not stocking a drug which they know is being restricted ....

Luv, Kaz, x

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Cate
I am nowhere near your area but wherever I lived, in your situation I would write complaining to the head of your NH Trust, with copies to the Minister of Health, your MP, your local Councillor and your local newspaper, it is surprising what a little stirring will do sometimes.
cheers
Frank

Steph

Jul 13, 2007
Hi Cate

My mum is in Blaenau Gwent which seems to be an area at the bottom of the league table for all things health - my Dad just rings them and they send the prescription to him. So if they're doing that in blaenau Gwent, Monmouth, and Torfaen and Newport, I don't see why it should be a problem in Llandough.

Steph

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandynoyes